Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am SORRY


My son can now apologize on his own without me needing to prompt him.

Everytime when Ace does something wrong, we will ask him to apologize to the relevant party. Sometimes we do it so often (because he is a really cheeky boy and is quite violent in that his games usually involve hitting people or even biting them sometimes...) we wonder if we are doing the right thing.. cos we don't want our son to end up feeling sorry for everything he does...

I feel it is one thing to be considerate.. but it is another to beat yourself up for everything that you do and to sacrifice at all times just because you want other people to be happy.. so we really do not know how in the world to explain this to Ace and how to draw the line...

In the end, I think LEADING BY EXAMPLE is the only way. So when I accidentally hit Ace, I will tell him that I am sorry.. Then I will tell him it is not a big deal to make mistakes.. we all make mistakes and you just need to apologize to the relevant parties and learn from your mistake lah.. don't do it again.. Mummy will always forgive you and mummy will always love you.

The other day, he accidentally hit me and so I playfully hit his buttock. His face immediately went into an M-shape and he started to use his hands to rub his eyes and "CRY"... I say "CRY" with inverted commas because he sounds like he is crying but there are no tears one lor..

"为什么你打我?" he asked me. And then he went to complain to Ah Yee that I beat him and kept asking me..

"为什么你打我?" he kept asking me again and again even though I apologized to him and told him I was only playing with him...

"为什么你打我?"

"为什么你打我?"

So I told him that I was a good girl. I accidentally hit him and I apologized, can he forgive me? Then he nodded his head.

Then I told him that he also hit me.. did he say sorry? He kept really quiet...

"Can you say sorry?" I asked him..

"为什么你打我?" he said and so I had to VERY patiently remind him that I already said sorry and he should say sorry too...

After repeating the same script like 6 or 7 times (because everytime I asked him to apologize to me, he asked me "为什么你打我?".

Finally he did and I hugged him... I always hug and forgive him when he apologizes.

But I guess it drove a point through though.

The other day, he threw all my clothes on the floor and played with his rocking horse while I was sleeping.. "Mummy, wake up.. see, I riding a horse! I am going to 法国!" He shouted at me..

I woke up, saw all my clothes on the floor and asked him why he threw all my clothes on the floor and closed my eyes and went back to sleep.

After about 3 seconds of deep thought, he came off the rocking horse and told me, "Mummy, sorry. 我不要把你的衣服弄乱乱.." and he proceeded to pick up all the clothes and pack it back in nicely for me!

You are such a good boy, Ace!

Previous Post: I Like Your NN

No comments: