Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Post Monitor Glow

When Ace was selected as a monitor, he was in his best behaviour for a while...
He wanted to go to school early, he always remembered to pass me messages from his teacher, he always handed in his work on time...

The post monitor glow is slowly fading though:) hahahaha....

Remember how someone insisted that he had to leave home half an hour earlier to reach school earlier? Guess what...  He is waking later and later and now always barely makes it to school on time!

And then leh, Mr blur sotong has been forgetting to do or bring his homework as well...

Sigh, I knew all the "good behavior" was too good to be true lor... Cos I always felt that all those good things he did was because it was his role as a good monitor... not really who he is...  Though when he is focused, he gets things done... Ace is for most part still a very blur kid who values play most ;)

Anyway, Ace came home the other day and told me that he scored only 10.5 out of 30 for his Mastery Math Test... aiyoh... That is not what I will expect from him lor.... When I looked at the paper, it seems he did not complete half of the paper. I looked at the half that he did complete and the questions were not that difficult and were quite straight forward and so there is no way he should or could score that low...

And so I asked him what went wrong... initially, he told me it is because the test happened on a day where he did not bring money and so did not go for recess and so he couldnt concentrate... I told him that is lame excuse lor.. if he had no money can borrow from teacher or friends... Not like he never did that before.. he was the one who chose to play instead of eat..

And for a test, no matter how hungry you are, it is possible still to concentrate fully for an hour to do a test one lor... not like he needed to concentrate for 8 hours.

So I told him what I thought is the problem:
- He did not have enough practice... Only if you dun have enough practice then you need LOTS of time to figure out how to do the sums. When you have enough practice and truly understand a certain topic, it is always easy peasy...

- He has been doing all his homework while watching youtube. That NEVER works. I caught him doing that twice and explained to him why that is a lousy idea... you cant really concentrate on your homework and you dun learn from it.. in the end have to do extra! Such a time waster!

- He has to learn to concentrate for longer periods of up to 1.5 hours so that he can concentrate on all tests and exams...

And then I asked him what did he think went wrong... he sheepishly told me he lacked practice... so we agreed that he has to practice more and I went and bought assessment books for him lor...

His dad really regretted buying him the phone as a reward for his good results last year because it seems he has been spending all his waking and free moments with the phone.. so his dad said from now till the point he gets good grades for his math, he has to surrender his phone the minute he reaches home...  Hahaha... orbeegood!:)

Anyway, I hope he learns his lesson from this and bucks up for the mid year exams..

PS: So right after he delivers very cui results of a math test, he announces a few days later that he was first in class for the Science test... I asked him how much did he score and he said 40.5. I told him that is 81 out of 100 and not an Astar yet. Since he is good in science, he should aim for AStar... and he said he will work towards it.

Previous Post: While Ace Is Away At Camp....

No comments: