Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why The Uncle Poke Needles Into His Skin?


The other day while I was bringing Ace home from his dancing lesson, we saw a Thaipusam procession passing by the dohby ghaut mrt area and so I asked Ace if he wanted to go and take a look.. so we went close to take a look...

And then I explained to Ace that this is called a Thaipusam procession.. and then Ace asked me, "Why they uncle poke needles into his skin?"

That really stumped me.. cos I really did not know why they carried the kavathi.. but because I had to give him an answer, I just told him that it is because they believe that their god will protect them....

Amazingly, the older kavthi carriers are all high and dancing... the younger ones are the ones who are panting and using the walking stick provided...

Anyway, in case your child asks you about thaipusam.. here is an article about it:
http://hinduism.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_tamil_thaipusam_festival

Previous Post: How Would Anya Look Like?

No comments: