Thursday, December 21, 2017

Ace's Appeal To Get Into AHS


So Ace did not do as well as he would have been able to for PSLE but he says he will still like to get into AHS.

And so, we got started on his journey to appeal.

I asked him to write down why he wanted to go to AHS... and I vetted through, printed out and put together an "appeal folder" for him.


Since my working hours are fixed, I got his dad to bring him for a haircut and then go over to the school to drop the appeal folder. The administrator kept saying that we shouldnt waste our time but we were insistent on doing so.

In the end, we finally understood why. Apparently, the school principal called me and said that while he would have loved Ace to join the AHS family, MOE has a ruling that they can only appeal if their grades are within the cut off and Ace was too far away from the cut off.

He encouraged Ace to work hard for sec 1 and try to appeal again at the end of secondary one.  I am very touched that the principal took the effort to call us and tell us that.

Anyway, I told Ace that if he does not get in, it is perhaps not meant to be for now. He will still be able to enjoy and shine and whatever school he goes into. The most important thing for me in ths exercise is that he demonstrated the good attitude of not giving up.

Meanwhile, since we already wrote all the reasons for appeal, I will list them here...


Reasons For Wanting To Join The AHS Family:

1) Easier To Settle Down Into Secondary School in AHS
I feel
it will be easier to settle into secondary school in AHS because the school values and environment are similar to the previous two schools I have attended. (I did 3 years of primary school in Horizon International School in UAE, Dubai and another 3.5 years in Yuneng Primary School).

2
) Friendly Students And Positive Vibes
I also like AHS as the AHS students I know or met during the Open House are very lively and friendly and I feel very positive when walking around in the school.

3) Shorter Traveling Time The school is also near my house so I can get sufficient rest before going to school and the shorter traveling time will mean that I can help around the house more as my mother is working full time and is a single mum.

4) Interesting CCAs
I also want to get into AHS because the school offers a lot of different CCAs that are all very interesting. I am very interested to join the Robotics Club and the Infocomm Club as I have some basic coding and programming knowledge and take a keen interest in building and creating things.

5) Dynamic Science Program (I Love Applied Science)
I also heard about AHS's dynamic science program which was what peaked my interest in the school as I love applied science and how it helps people in their daily lives. I am from the Green Science Club in Yuneng Primary and was very excited to hear that AHS's Dynamic Science Program even teaches the students about vertical farming as I find that is a helpful application of technology in science. I like it that AHS is teaching her students about all these amazing technological breakthroughs that are helpful to mankind.

6) It's My Dream
My mother, who is part of the school alumni has told me many stories of her wonderful four years in AHS. And since I was in P4, I have been aspiring to get into AHS and have been working towards this goal of getting into AHS.

7) I Aspire To Be Like The AHSians I Know
My friends, Tashi Chow and Oracle Chow were from and are currently in AHS too. I think people from AHS (including my mother and my P5 form teacher, Mr Lee Pang Ker) exhibit great ambition and admirable traits like resilience, GRIT, respect and optimism and I aspire to be like them too.

Things that the Principal/ Vice Principal Needs To Know About Me Should I Be Selected
1) I Am A Community Do-Gooder
I enjoy contributing to society and have participated in many charity school projects such as Yuneng Primary's SG Bear Project (to raise funds for Child Aid) and the Shoebox Donation Program in Horizon School ( to gather necessities in a shoebox to be given to the construction workers in Dubai.)

I have also been actively involved in volunteer work outside of school and work closely with the Lions Club. I have helped to raise funds during flag day, contributed during their hotmeal programs for the elderly, assisting with bringing the seniors to outings, serving them food during special events such as CNY lunches and even befriending of a Rainbow Kid, Haikal, who was down with cerebral palsy.

I have gone on 3 overseas charity trips to Myanmar and Cambodia. Using funds we raised, we were able to donate food and other living essentials for the less fortunate. During my visit to Myanmar, I used the pocket money I saved to buy a rice cooker for an orphanage. I was so shocked that they could not even afford something as basic as a rice cooker and am happy I can help them.

2) I Am Hands On, Creative And Resourceful
I am creative. My strength lies in hands-on arts n crafts and activities as I like constructing different things from everyday objects. I enjoy making guns, swords and toys out of paper and recycled cereal boxes and even won a prize for myself for the best recycled creation in Horizon School. A frequent attendee of the Maker Faire's yearly Bootcamp, I learnt how to operate machinery and tools that help me with these projects such as the 3d printers, drills , hot glue gun and many more.

I enjoy solving problems and am a creative problem solver! I am analytical and can come up with all sorts of solutions for problems in any given scenario and this is a helpful skill when doing projects.

3) I Am A People Person And A Team Player
I like to meet and interact with people of interesting back grounds as I am very curious and like to expand my view of the world. Because I like to interact with people and communicate well, I make a good teammate and a great leader.

I am also caring. I like to provide support to my peers through jokes and casual chats. If I see someone who is shy, I will not hesitate to reach out to them and make friends with them. I will stand up for the weak as I have been bullied before and know how it feels. Because I am emotionally sensitive, I tend to have empathy for others and make a loyal friend.

4) I Have Wide, Varied Interests
I am often told I knowledgeable and have conversations about topics such as quantum physics with my parent's friends. I have a lot of general knowledge as I Iike reading informative magazines and sharing these information with my friends.

Other than reading, I have a wide interest in many areas. I have taken or am currently taking lessons related to programming, entrepreneurship, science, guitar, ukelele, swimming and tennis. I have requested for these lessons on my own because of my interest and my desire improve my skill sets and knowledge in these respective areas. I have also taken part in various cultural performances related to singing and dancing such as the Emirates Literature Festival and the Youth Friendship For Peace Festival.

Previous Post:
Francine's Workshop

No comments: