Saturday, July 15, 2006

Reading Ace


I love to read.

I have been reading intensively since I was 7 years old and my first book was Enid Blyton's Secret Seven... which belonged to my mum. My mum was amazed at how I could handle the difficult words but I just got so fascinated with the story I couldnt put it down.

For books and stories I enjoy, I would read them again and again.. my record was re-reading the same book 20 times!

Along the way, I would finish the whole series of The Secret Seven, The Adventures of the Wishing Chair, The Naughtiest Girl, Judy Blume, Hardy Boys, The Five Find Outers, Encyclopedia Brown- Leroy, Boy Detective, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter...

As you can tell, I loved rowdy adventure stories with a bit of mystery in them (Nancy Drew was too tame for my liking) and also had a weakness for fantasy stories about wizards and stuff like tat... But now tat I am all grown up, dun have time to read frivolous story books lioa.. watever time I have for reading, I usually spend reading self improvement books...

I would want Ace to inherit my love for reading as well. My mentor told me that your life is decided partly by the books that you read. I guess that is why i like to analyze things cos i love to read mystery books.

While I worked hard to help cultivate Ace's reading habit (I started borrowing books from library for him to read since he was 1 mth old and would read to him everyday), I kind of got lazy along the way and din really read much to him except signs we pass by...

Maybe I took for granted that letting him watch Your Baby Can Read will mean he can read by himself... cos I still do religiously make him watch it everyday...

Strangely, he decided all by himself that he liked reading.

Ah Yee bought him two hard cover story books and he would flip the pages and 'talk loudly' to himself.

We brought him to Star Bucks tat day and passed him a book from their library and he would be happily turning the pages...

Then Ganma Seok Ling bought him a book and he would read the book aloud at home whenever we gave it to him.. of cos, his version of reading was just making loud noises.. hahaha.. And he simple enjoys doing that!




But we discovered something strange. Whenever we read to him words that are:
- single syllabul
- pronounced loudly
- pronounced by elongating the sound (as we usually do when we speak to babies.. eg, moon becomes 'moooooon')

Ace's face will crumple up, his mouth will go into a SUPER M SHAPE and then he will start to cry.. and he will cry so hard and sob till like we bullied him.. when all we did was to read to him!

I havent found out what is the reason for this.... if you have any clue.. pls email me at verityy@yahoo.com and let me know...

PS: And please hor, when you see Ace, dun you dare do this to him.. especially in front of Daddy cos he will scold as he doesnt like to see Ace cry...

5 comments:

Clatzz said...

im surprised ace still can wear that blue romper!!!

Anonymous said...

tink Ace dun like ppl to raise their voice cos everytme there's a loud sound, he'll be shocked n start crying
Rebecca

Monky said...

clari ah yee:This romper is grow as u grow kind of clothing...heee...worth the value :p

Ya. I think he's shocked when we cheered,shouted loudly..well,i think its a growing up process.. :)

Clatzz said...

haha... of cos worth the value lah.. must see who buy one leh the romper :p

<*ANGEL*> said...

Ya.. you should also tell the whole world tat the romper is only $5:) very wu hua manz!