Friday, December 02, 2005

Torturous Teething


Ace has been suffering from the tortures of teething... as a result, me and daddy suffer right along with him!

I mean, I have always been happy and proud to tell people that Ace is a very nice and very happy baby. He is.. he is always smiley and is always happy. Mostly, he is happy to either play with people or with himself and he seldom cries unless he is hungry...

However, having gone through two post injection fevers, I now know that Ace is a very grumpy baby when he is not feeling well.

Few days ago, when his 5th month injection was due, he started to be feverish again. It started with his head being quite warm for one or two days. But he had no fever. Just a warm head and he was smiley as usual.

Then one day, he just woke up and decided to GO FOR IT! He started to turn feverish.. and the part of his skull where there is a hole (you know tat baby's skulls are not fully formed at birth right?) is pulsating because instead of the sunken hole, you see his brain protruding and pulsating. Gee, tat's scary!!

And I hate to take care of Ace alone when he is feverish man!

He will start to cry and wail and keep wanting me to carry him. Sometimes he is not satisfied if i carry him, he will cry until I start walking around while carrying him.

He refuses to fall asleep on his own and is only willing to do so if I rock him a little, walk around and then give him milk so that he can suckle on my breasts.

I guess his gums must be feeling sore because he keeps wanting to be fed. It is almost as if he is a never ending whole that refuses to be full. He keeps wanting more milk.. or rather more suckle.. even when he is so full that he is vomitting milk.

I feed and feed and feed and feed until I was so tired but he just wouldnt let me off.. even in the middle of the night, he will wake and keep wanting to be fed.. again and again and again.. if I don't feed him, he cries so loudly that I fear he will wake the whole block up. My nipples felt like they don't belong to me antmore after a few hours and he still wouldn't stop!

Even the teething toy fails to amuse him for long. He quietens for a while to chew it and after a while starts to cry again.

Poor mummy tries to amuse herself by staring at the teething toy because it enlarges the view of his gum and you can see Ace's single little tooth trying to protrude out from the gums.

My only solace is in the fact that this is just a phase and it is not the first time I am going through this. But it is a trying phase. There are times I wonder if my son will stay like this and drive me insane.

Daddy isnt spared either.

There were two occasion during this period where Ace was teething that Daddy had to take care of him alone and when I came home, Daddy complained to me, "Ace bully me!"

"Your son cry like he got no father like that.." he complained..

When I told my mum, she said, "No lah.. he got no mother and looking for mother... he just wants to suckle and be comforted..."

Well, as I write this, I getting ready to bring him for his 5th mth jab.. I pray he wun get achy and feverish a again.. there are just so many bad ace days I can tahan in one month man!

Pray for me, will you? ;P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi hi!! jus to let u know dat iv been followg ur entries. lynus & ace share e same bath tub & teether!!! alrite dat aside, lynus got his 1st set of teeth in his late 4th mth. i aint gloatg, bt was glad he didn't go thru fever & drool. jus excessive suckg on his fingers & hands. u could try coolg e teether in e fridge for their greater comfort. -soomay ;>

Anonymous said...

hi, ace got his 5th jab already? hows he? Waden got his on the 2nd dec. heard that last jab is the strongest which is 6 in 1 jab. i gave him the fever med immed after the jab & 1 b4 his sleep at night... he's happy little baby when awake the next morning... =)