Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Master Of Persuasion and Motivation

These days, I am rather disgusted by "persuasion"...

I have no doubt that this is an important skill set but I am judgemental towards it because one of the best master of persuasion I know has actually demonstrated how persuasion, like fire, can turn from a good slave.. to a bad master...

I have always admired people with good skills of persuasion.. amazed by how they can not just negotiate their way through things but can actually persuade people to do all the things they do not want or like to do... Notably, it is a useful skill to have... especially if you have a 3 year old kid..

My this good friend has such good skills of persuasion.. he can sell off a useless crystal for $5000.... when he was selling Spirullina, he talked about how good it was and made it seem like it was the best food in the whole world... and then when he started selling some other form of algae, he told the people who previously bought his spirullina, "Aiyoh... this one is only used to feed fish leh..."

So you see.. the thing about persuasion is this... it may seem all good to you and logical now.. but after a good night sleep or after sometime, you will ask yourself.. "Why am I doing this ah?"

The person who bought the useless crystal sweared off 1000meters away from this friend thereafter... the person who narrated the story about the fish food story was full of disdain for this friend...

I even had a kind hearted, good natured friend quarrel with that good friend just because he felt like he is constantly being persuaded to do things he does not want to... and when he wakes up from the 'hypnosis', he curse and swear and ask himself why is he doing this....

I followed a friend to some MLM talk today and I must say all the persuasion that they used really bought back bad memories of that good friend... haha.... so, while I kept telling Ace he is a master of persuasion, I kind of regretted saying that to him now..

But I guess being full of love and being innocent... Ace would probably only use persuasion like a good slave.. I may worry too much..

I am glad in my current business as a trader and supplier, I don't need to use persuasion.. just facts and figures.. Ai lai mai sua ;) haha...

Nevertheless, I think Ace does have some concept on how to motivate or persuade people to do things the wants them to do..

Just take this morning for instance...

I was sleeping and Ace woke up, bathed and dressed up for school and my mum asked him to go into the room "and ask your mama to wake up to bring you to school..."

Ace came into my room and said, "Mama.. wake up already.. do you want to drink juice? Wake up and drink fruit juice already.. I also want to drink juice now..."

He went out of the room and my mum chided him.. "Aiya, ask you go and wake mummy and ask her to bring you to school why you ask her to drink juice? Quick, go inside and ask Mummy to wake up and bring you to school..."

So Ace walked into my room again and asked me, "Mama, do you want to drink juice? Do you want to wake up and drink juice?"

I think my son is a smart boy lor.. Even though I am not really enticed by juice, that is a much more pleasant way of asking me to wake up and needless to say, I woke up lor :)

Previous Post: Barney Lantern

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The key ingredient of being a Master of Persuasion is to master the Art of Influence.

Leadership is all about Leadership, i supposed we found a better Leader. A Mentor who mean what he says and does what he says. :)