Friday, November 06, 2009

Sweet Things In Life



Well, it has been a while since I last had a heart to heart talk with Ace cos he has been mostly either staying overnight at my in law's place or sleeping with his dad...

Today, Max was out watching soccer and so Ace said he wanted to sleep with me.. so I had a chance to talk to him and we started with a little bit of story telling and then i started to tell him about my feelings and how i was really upset when he talked rudely to me. I told him that when he talks rudely to me, it makes me feel like he does not love me... cos recently he has been speaking quite rudely to me and Max...

I also talked to him about how I was upset when he does not listen to my instructions... cos recently no matter what I asked him to do, he would either take his own sweet time to do it or just ignore me. So I told him that when he does that, it makes me feel like I am not important to him....

And then he said he would be a happy boy and he would listen to me...

And then I thought since he is listening to me, I might as well get on the topics that I have been wanting to talk to him about...

So, we started talking about his fondness for sweet foods...

First I reminded him not to eat too much sweet food as I feel that his diet consists of too much sugar for my liking as he has a soft spot of all things sweet... and then I explained to him how sugar will firstly affect his teeth.. which will in turn affect his smile and in turn affect his looks (he is a vain pot mah)...

And then, I explained to him about how sugar will affect his body... I am not sure if you know this but every can of coke you drink has such high sugar content that it will shut down your immune system for up to 9 hours... so I tried to explain very simply to him that when he takes alot of sugar and drink sweet things, there will be no one to protect his body so when the virus and germs attack him, there is no one to protect him and he will fall sick..which means he cannot go for swimming lessons, dancing lessons, eat nice food, drink nice things...

It seemed to get to him cos he said, "OK, next time i will brush my teeth when I eat sweets and i ask Stephanie jie jie not to give me sweets..." (Stephanie is the owner of a vegeterian restaurant we frequent and she always gives him some treats when he goes over to eat with us...)

And just to make sure that the message gets drilled in, I started to tell him about diabetes. One of our friends, an old uncle by the name of James has diabetes. I told Ace about his story and about how a little sore on the leg, because of diabetes, in the end became a reason for the doctors to cut away his big toe.. he is still under observation and might eventually lose his whole foot if he does not recover well.

Ace asked me if I cried for Uncle James and I told him that while I did not shed tears, I cried for him in my heart because Uncle James is such an independent person who likes to run around the whole of singapore.. if he lost his legs, it would really be a big setback for him...

"If he lose his leg, he cannot carry me already right?" Ace asked me. And so we spent a minute to send some love to his leg and pray for uncle James that he will recover quickly...

Previous Post: Ace Loves Swimming

No comments: