Monday, February 27, 2012

Hallyu Star Wannabe Ace

In the recent month, there has been a Hallyu fever sweeping through Dubai.. ok, at least through Bur Dubai, in unit XXX of YYY building where I stay in anyway:)

Max, who has always prided himself on being too cool for Kdrama suddenly decided to watch k drama together with me:) It started innocently enough with a meal at a Korean restaurant.. they were showing this show called the Invincible Lee Pyung Kung and in the half hour I watched there, it was really quite hilarious! I laughed like mad and realized that I havent watched Kdrama for a long, long time...

So I went home and decided to search for the drama tat I watched in the restaurant... I was so relieved to find that was only 18 episodes long and decided to start to watch my first Kdrama in Dubai.

Since night time is usually quite boring for us, Max started to join in and he soon got hooked into the drama.. he was so hooked that he would want to watch till 2am everyday and everyday, he will be bugging me to search for NEW dramas to watch so that he can continue to watch after the series ends...

And since we are on the roll, when we finally finished the drama, I remembered my sis saying that there was this SUPER show I MUST watch called You're Beautiful and so I told him we will watch that for our next series..

However, Max couldn't stomach all the Korean asexual type of fashion sense and he couldn't understand why in the world Hwang Tae Kyung needed to have eyeliner even when he is at home... he couldnt take it that everyone is dressed almost femininely and says it feels like some sort of gay freak show to him.. so he asked me to continue with the show myself...

So after episode 1, Max gave up and I continued watching the show my myself in the day time.. sometimes together with Ace when he is home after school;)

And as the show went on, I fell totally in love with Hwang Tae Kyung/ Jang Guen Suk! He is so cute when he smiles lor:) wahahahaha...

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show and I sort of become totally besotted with them to the extend that I will wake and sleep with the OST ringing in my ear! I couldnt get rid of the songs in my head for many days and thought I might as well download them and listen to them when I am free....

So one of these days, I was playing ANJell's Promise (AnJell is the ficticious boy band in the show) and my son disappeared for 3 seconds and returned with my broom and started to rock to it as if the broom is a guitar!

And then we went on to have a full fledge concert with AnJell's Without Words and GMN's Happy Day... both of us just danced around the living room like mad.. hahahaha:) Heng Max was not at home.. if not he will sure to say we are crazy:)

Anyway, Ace did not really watch that many eps but nevertheless, he was sufficiently influenced by the show. I dunno how he got the idea tat boy bands must have style and then midway through his dancing, he asked me to wait for him... and he went to get his tie and his soft toy to spruce up his outfit (which is actually his school uniform) to make it more boy band like stylish:) wahahahahhaha...

After that, I had to start to make dinner but my boy wants to continue dancing and so I left the music on.. I was cutting my veg when the music ended... Noticing that I was not looking at him, my boy called out to me... "Mummy, come and look at my ending pose..."

I dunno how he learnt tat lor.. to do that I love you sort of pose tat Korean stars like to do for their fans! wahahahahaahhahahaha.. and where did he learn the phrase "ending pose"???

Ace must really like the songs as well as i found him humming a few of them while he was playing for the next few weeks.. every once in a while he will start to sing one of the songs:) My favourite in the OST was this slow number called What Should I Do and to my surprise, my son can sing the chorus lor! He was actually going, "otokajyo... otokajyo..." as he was playing with his lego set! wahahahahahah

When Max came home, I told him about what happened and showed him the photos.. and so he also wanted to act cute and pretend to be a lovable cute boy band... and so he asked me to take this picture for him.. CUTE OR NOT???:P

As the weeks went on, i became more and more besotted with JGS and decided I will watch all of JGS's shows online even though to be fair, his acting was not fantastic.. but it is watchable.. wahahaha (which is why we started watching Beethoven Virus) But I was very intrigued not just because he is very handsome... you know, I am lao aunty already and JGS is something like 10 years younger than me.. so it is not tat type of I go gah gah over him type of admiration..

I am so intrigued by him because I keep seeing similarities between him and my son and keep wondering if one day, Ace will be as handsome as JGS or if Ace will be like this famous idol like Hwang Tae Kyung since he is good looking, has good personality and seems to be good in remembering music and dancing...

I told Max about what I thought and showed him some of JGS's pics.. when I showed him the JGS pic in his yearbook in high school (the top left pic), Max said, "I think look more like me lor..." And I think he is right!

Hahaha.. but Max and Ace look alike mah.. so you see, I really do think they look somewhat alike. But Max says he feels that Ace is more handsome.. hahahaha

That is JGS as he is growing up...

Here are come comparison shots between Ace and JGS... I can so imagine my son looking handsome like this lor:) wahahahah..

I have been told Ace looks very much like me.. So maybe all these admiration and feelings of intrigue are nothing more than narcissism in its hidden form! haha!

But my boys are not the only ones who are hallyu stars look alike lor:) According to my hubby... I also somewhat look like Ha Ji Won from Secret Garden.. wahahahaha:P I think our expression look alike lah.. not so much the features.... But well, I have always been mistaken for being Japanese, Korean or PRC Chinese... and I always tend to look like someone's friend, sister or aunty.. cos I have what I call "international face" Hahahahaha:)

I have been quite impressed with Ha Ji Won, Hyun Bin and the Maestro Kang in Beethoven Virus... so i will probably continue the kdrama storm in my house with projects from these people as well.. Next on my list: Do re mi fa so la ti, Mary stays Out All Night, Be my pet, Damo, Sex is zero 2, Closer to Heaven, Beyond The White Tower, Hwang Jin Yi

Previous Post: Angel's Caricature

No comments: