Saturday, May 19, 2012

Goodbye, Habibi!

Most of our friends in Dubai are here without their family.. so we are the odd ones out with Ace:) And because of that, I have only gotten a chance to witness how Ace behaves amongst adults.

By nature, Ace is a very easy going and friendly person.. he likes to play with all our friends and sometimes they play along with him.... especially if they have kids back at home too:) And I think he is generally well liked by our friends...

Most of his interactions with children would happen either in school or maybe at a toyshop where he plays with some random kid who is also playing there. But I havent really had a chance to observe him up close and personal..

The other day, Max had another football game and as it was the start of a weekend on a Thursday night, we went along so tat we can go out for dinner together. Max usually goes to another place to play soccer and this time round, he is going to this newly opened place.. when we got there, we found that the new place has a very small field for playing and two very large rooms on the second storey for viewing!

One room is a VIP room which is a stylish lounge and the other is a children's playroom with 8 PSP machines and tv screens installed!

One of the other players brought his two kids along too. A boy and a girl.. the boy is something like 11 or 12 years old and the girl is maybe one or two years older than Ace. And at this intimate setting, I got to observe how Ace interacts with other children and I discovered some interesting things about my son:)

I know Ace was friendly, but I was not aware that he is THIS friendly! :) The moment he saw these children, he turned to the older boy and asked him, "What is your name? Do you like to play PSP?" Hahahahaha

Because this place is really new (it is not officially opened yet), the PSPs were all shut off and no one knew how to turn them on and so Ace got creative and suggested that they run around the room... He walked to the big brother, put his arm around his shoulder and then pulled at his arm and asked him.. "Do you want to play tag?"

And when the big gor gor gave a puzzled look.. Ace tried to explain to him the rules of the game.. mind you, not the broken english me and Max always hear from him but proper sentences that are well articulated with a slight twang of ang moh slang! wahahahahaha...

But you know, when you are 11 or 12, you are not very interested in playing with little kids anymore..

And while the staff went to get help to turn on the machines, Ace just kept following the gor gor around and trying to talk to him be become his friend.. it is kind of cute to see him hanging after the gor gorr.. wahahah.. What is interesting is that while he will talk to the girl as well, it seems he seems to prefer playing with boys.. he says that in school, he will play with the boys most of the time too.. I guess it is natural as I remembered only playing with girls most of the time when I was in primary school too...

But video games are truly not a very engaging activity. Once the machines got started up, the three kids just concentrated on playing their own games at their own consoles and stopped interacting with each other. Ace was a hell of a noisy player as he made all sorts of "racing car sounds" while he played his racing car game and for the next 45 min.. his "motor" was "vroom"-ing non stop! Super noisy lor!

And when it was time to go, I told Ace to say goodbye to his friends and he went up to the gor gor and put his arm around the gor gor's very tall shoulder (Ace is only as tall as his chin) and said, "Good bye.." And then when the gor gor walked away, he added, "goodbye Habibi!" (that means "Good bye friend" in Arabic and the gor gor is arabic.. That caught me by a pleasant surprise.. and I really think this little guy is make friends expert lor!:) hahahhaa

On a side note, owning a Xbox at home now has helped me better understand how these remote controls work.. I actually managed to figure out how the PSP controls work and even how to play the game on my own.... I am very proud of myself cos in the past, I totally dunno what to press and what to do!:P wahahaha
But video games are still not my cup of tea.. give me a good book and some good friends to chat with anytime!:)

PS: Yesterday, when I picked Ace up from the school bus, our neighbor's son also alighted from the school bus. While waiting for the lift, the following conversation took place...

Ace: Harlow (waves his hand in a Hello fashion)
J: Harlow... (looks down at the floor)
Ace: What's your name?
(J continues to look down at the floor)
Ace: (gently touches J's arm..) What's your name?
(J cannot ignore Ace anymore..)
J: J .. (continue to look down at the floor...)
Ace: My name is Ace... Nice to meet you and get to know you...
(J continues to look down at the floor and Ace gave me a "What's with him?" sort of look.. wahahahaha..)

I am really quite amazed at his social skills.. first time I see him in action up close;P


Previous Post: Why Don't They Comfort Her?

No comments: