Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Asean Para Games Pt 2

Day 2... we signed up to volunteer in the morning slot and were up bright and early...

When we gathered.. I felt even more awkward cos today, there are alot of super young teens in the group.. hahhahaa...

But leh, I had an interesting time observing how the "student leaders" carry themselves.  And I had a chat with the only other adult there... hahahaha..

We were talking about how these student leaders seem to lead only based on authority given and they just lead with aggression and trying to pull rank... but when we were students, our student leaders mostly lead us via their wonderful charisma...

For example, they will ask everyone to please dun use the phone when we are cheering cos the atheletes need your cheer.. but guess what? You turn around and they will be looking at their phones too:) hahahaha...

And then they said if you need drinks like cold drinks or cold 100PLUS, they will be able to get for you as well... in the end, they went to take but only shared amongst the leaders... everyone else can go drink air...

And then leh, they also cannot really do their job well... When you cheer, if you have alot of new people who dunno the cheers, you need to use easy, short cheers so everyone can join in. Also, you need to really be watching the match and ride on the emotions to cheer.

We were watching this tennis match and this uncle hor.. if you observe, you will realize that he needs alot of encouragement and cheering one cos he always scores when tat happens.. but they were bz chatting and all that and finally, uncle lose liao then they did the "It's ok, it's alright.." cheer. Chey... lose liao then cheer... havent lose should cheer mah.. right?:P


And then when there is a loud noise like an announcement, also have to do short, sharp cheers and not the super long ones cos no one can hear you over the PA system if you did...

But well, maybe cos we are AUNTIES and dun really understand how the youths these days think:) Hahahahaha...


Saw the "mascot" again...

The most ELEGANT cheerleaders in the group:) But not necessarily the softest  when it comes to cheering okie!:)

Apparently nothing much to cheer for so they even let us have a break after lunch:)

During lunch, Ace was bz looking at his phone and so when they asked who needed vegeterian food, he responded so slow that there was no veg food left and so they told him they will get for him... but we waited very long and still no veg food and so as Ace was hungry, he asked them where is his food..

One of the persons in charge TSKed him and then said.."Wait lah..."

And then turned around and saw an adult GLARING at her.. (not me hor...) and she immediately said, "Don't worry, it is coming soon.." with a smile...

Tsk tsk tsk... horrible...  want to be leader must understand your team right... this one should be one of the youngest participants and I think as a leader should keep lookout for him mah.. plus, his laomu and his laomu friend also here leh... she still brush him off... Not too much to ask to say nicely to ask him to be patient and wait right?

During break, Oracle said wanna eat something.. and Ace seconded that and so we ended up having fries in Burger King... We were so lucky cos once we were in the sheltered area, it started to rain heavily... we nuaz there and chit chat till time is up and went to the place we were supposed to meet.

As we were a little early, we all went to toilet first.. but Ace Chua took such a long time to pack his bag (I really dun understand why we three girls go toilet come out liao he still packing when he never go toilet lor..) that by the time we came out to the meeting place, they were gone!

But they said we were going to cheer for BOCCIA so we went to the boccia match on our own.. only to find that they were not there!

So... we just stayed on to watch and cheer anyway:) hahahaha...

And it is then that I realized that BOCCIA can also be played by different class of players.. those with less mobility will use this ramp and they will put the ball there and hold it in place with that funny stick sticking out of their helmet.. and then release it to let the ball roll...

THere is another group who are more mobile.. I must say Team SG in this class is really good lor.. their colored balls are all very close to JACK... aim is very good lor!






As the place was very warm.. after some time, we decided to leave and then leh, we declared ourselves OFF DUTY..

Ace was keen to go back to the carnival and Oracle was keen to go home.. so we went our seperate ways:)

Ace said he wanted to go back to the library.. so he went back to play table soccer and he had so much fun with this group of children there...






After a while of watching them, I went to find a place to sit down in the library and wait for Ace. While waiting, something interesting happened.

The library has a few kinect machines and you can use library card to borrow a game and play... and this dad borrowed a game for his son to play but another boy stepped in to play.. as his son is petite and the boy was taller and bigger, the machine read the boy but not his son and the boy started to play...

The dad was very fed up... But also did not step in to do anything.. he just keep asking his son.."Who is he... why is he playing your game.. you go and tell him to stop... or I will switch the whole thing off... who is he?"

And the son will try go tell the boy not to play but the boy will look blur and continue to play and the son will go back to the father and shake his head and the father will repeat his "script"...

But moment the dad stopped bugging his son.. his son just went back... the boy also invited the son to play and the children attracted more and more children to come play cos they were so happy to play together!:)

Hahahahaha... so I guess really playground squabbles are sometimes more easily settled if parents are not involved cos children just wanna play :)

And then we thought about where to go next as we have tried almost all the games already.. and I told him I am very tired lah.. so I said I wanted to rest a little while...


Then I remembered there is a NILA FUN RUN.. which is like the Amazing Race... and I asked if Ace wanted to take part and he said yes.. so we made our way to find the sign up counter...

While walking there, we saw people pushing tires and Ace said he wanted to try... he not bad lor.. the other children is 4 children and one adult to one tire.. he and one jie jie one tire lor...

Anyway, we met my friend, Bee, there... she is good man.. whole day manning this booth! Really salute her!






Then Ace saw people pulling a car and he said he wanted to try too...





He had such a look of satisfaction when he pulled the car to the end!:)

And Bee reminded us there is some other activity over at another booth nearby and so we went over to chop our names :) This is how to do my name in sign language:)



Ace is more greedy and chopped his name PLUS surname.. hahaha:)




And then we found the booth and went to sign up for the Nila Fun Race..


And then we had a briefing and the race started!

There are 5 points and the points all all over the sports hub lor.. the whole two hours plus of the race we were running around the whole sports hub.... Tired die me lor!

Anyway, at our first station, we met this mother and two sons... and started chatting and helping each other out and so we decided to complete all our tasks together:)

Our new friends:) I think Ace felt right at home with them as they reminded him of his fav friends in Dubai  :)

We kept running around also cos you had to do two things at each station but at station one, we were asked to complete other tasks before returning as the station master was not free.. so we ran around to do other things...

Station two had to take picture of a massive chess board located in the Sports Hub and then also had to take out particular chess pieces without looking so we can experience how the para athletes playing chess might feel...

Went back to station 1 to do the second task and it was to cross this slopes and also walk on tightrope which is just 30 above the ground. ;)

The gor gor in charge is also called Ace and Ace was so excited to meet someone with the same name. Interestingly, I thought that after a year plus in Singapore, Ace will be a typical quiet, shy and apathic Singaporean kid.. hahahaha..

But hor, he was so enthu.. he wanted to be the first one to go.. and jumped around and did this and tat and was so active.. It was the side of him that I only saw when he is in school in Dubai...  I am so glad that his DUBAI experience has still stayed with him and made him into this very ON person who was adventurous and confident:)







Before we left, we asked to take a picture with Ace Gor Gor :) so here you go.. the two Aces.. BAN LUCK! hahahahahaha

THen we proceeded to station 3... I dun have any photos of station 3 cos both of us had to take part... no hands to take photos lor... Ace had to wheelchair a short distance with a ball on his lap.. then throw the ball into a basket I am holding.. and then I have to dribble the ball with my less dominant leg.. wah lau, my dominant leg I also dunno how to dribble lor.. hahahaaha...

After that leh, Ace had to bounce the ping pong ball on the paddle 10 times and then I had to use the ECO RIDER and move a distance forward.

Ace was so envious cos he wanted to do the eco rider but they only allowed ages 16 and above to do that...

In case you dunno wat that is.. it is this machine..

http://www.ownashop.com/Images/productimage/20141019020720TFITRXOdztXsm_full.jpg


So the volunteer says I have to step on it.. and find my neutral position.. if i leaned forward it will move forward and if I leaned backwards it will move backwards and the handle will allow me to steer it around.. I so scared I will fall lor:) and I went REAL SLOW.. hahahahahahha... But it was fun.. I wish we had more time to play with it...

Station 4 have to do two different things and one was at the OCBC Aquatic Centre.... when we arrived there, Ace said that he is very tired n his leg very pain.. so I told him to sit down and rest and I went to take picture of the thing we have to take picture of..

And then I realized that the second thing I had to do I had to go to the boating area lor.. so I called Ace and asked him to come and look for me. I left him at the staircase.. so I told him to come down and he flared up and shouted at me that he dunno where I am..

I sibeh angry lor.. TMD.. only he tired meh.. nin laobu also very tired lor...

I told him when I saw him.. that I was very tired too and actually I wanted to go home and rest.. but cos I know he wanted to do this... I went along and even gave him time to rest... he dunno where can ask nicely, dun need to shout at me lor.. If he dun want to play, just say.. we can GO HOME NOW!

And then he say sorry to me...

Anyway, the next mission was to go out on a paddle boat, paddle to this yellow and black board, take a picture of both of us with stadium in background and come back...

As another team was doing it... we cannot do it and had to wait lor...



So there was this little girl whose mum is on one of the boats.. she was crying and crying.. I think she is maybe 4... and the volunteers who were all young girls were trying to calm her by offering her sweet and repeating.. "don't cry.."

I see liao.. hai...I think me aunty do is easier lah.. so I put my hand on her back and patted her.. and I sent her love energetically.. and then I told her that her mother is not leaving her here.. she will come back one.. she just went out on the boat.. she is going to row the boat over and take a picture and she will come back.. and I told her that she is very very safe here and mummy will definitely come back...

After all, all children just scared they lose their parents mah... and then she calm down a little liao.. I asked her if she wanted to go see what mummy is doing.. jie jie can carry her there and she can look at her mummy from afar and know mummy is coming back and she nodded her head..

Go out and see her mum liao she stopped crying.. phew :)
Then it was our turn to paddle the boat... the boys paddled the boat and we mothers just at at the back and relac one corner lah:) hahahaha

Ace wanted to sit on the right side of the boat cos then he can control direction of the boat..


We took our photo.. mission completed!


Ace says he had so much fun he wants to do this again:) hahaha..

Anyway, FINALLY hor.. the final stop is back at the starting point!!

Tired DIE ME!

Since we completed it, we were given a chance to spin the wheel.. I spinned and got a pouch...

Ace spinned and got a skipping rope but he said he wanted a phone pouch and the jie jie just gave to him anyway.. hahahaha:) so lucky we met a kind soul!


And after we finished, I asked Ace how he wanted to settle dinner and he said he just wanted to buy cup noodles, go home and relac one corner, eat cup noodles and drink a cold drink...

But leh, I told him I am too tired to move.. I need to rest and suggested that we have dinner there.. so in the end we went to shokudo to have dinner;)

Ace ordred this drink that came with ice cream and popsicle.. he was so happy lor... And then he ordered a rosti...

I was so tired hor, I could not stomach much.. so believe it or not.. in the end I ordered a salad for dinner:) hahahaha

Then hor, when we finished dinner, Ace asked if we could take taxi home and I said we can take MRT lah... and as we were walking to the MRT station, we noticed that everyone at the carnival had this glove thingy.. that is a big hand doing the PEACE sign... Ace said he wanted that and I told him that he will have to ask the jie jie working there where to get it..

The jie jie said they will give out more later.. so leh, he say wanna hang around and wait lor..

Since we were hanging around, just sit there and watch the concert lah..

Halfway through, it started to rain very very heavily...

It rained so heavily that the water coming down the stairs of the indoor stadium looked like a waterfall!

But then they announced that we should hang around cos there will be a party and they started giving out bracelets that light up...


True enough.. after a while, they started a party...


Ace very happy to dance... cos the songs are all the current pop songs that he likes..

And then the MC asked everyone to form a circle and announced that there will be a dance off and "I am going to give away a phone!"

And then hor, my son just CHIONG UP there in the middle of the circle and started dancing!



Here is a video of all his dancing in the past two days including how he was dancing during the dance off...

I asked him how he knew to like challenge the other person and he said he learnt it from youtube videos he watched;) hahahahaha

Anyway, he won himself a samsung phone for all the dancing... i know tat at the end he already boh stamina and lose steam but he still kept pushing himself all the way....

He told me later that  he actually danced so hard cos he wanted very much to win the phone so that he can give the phone to me.. alas, the phone is a samsung young 2... so it is very small... "I guess you wouldnt want to use this phone, mummy.." he said. I told him he can keep it or sell it away and earn the cash to buy something he really likes...

The MC told me that she is very impressed that at his age he has so many moves and can dance so well :) hahahaha...

Anyway, Ace and I agreed that this is a perfect ending to his para games adventure...

Do note though that for the next two days... I had to lie on bed straight and cannot move... needed to recuperate lor... Age is indeed catching up.. hahahahaha :)

Previous Post: Asean Para Games Part 1

No comments: