Monday, August 07, 2006

I can feed myself now!



Yeah! Ace can feed himself now...

After learning to hold his own milk bottle, Ace has finally picked up the art of feeding himself the little healthy times teddy bear biscuits.

Training actually took place by chance...

I was suppose to go out that day and had wanted to wait till the evening when Waipo is home to send Ace to her place. So I asked Waipo not to bring me Ace's dinner that day.

However, I had a problem. Ace usually has his dinner at 5pm. That day, I would only be able to feed him his dinner at 7.30pm... so I decided to feed him some biscuits to fill him up a little.

I took out 6 biscuits and put them aside. Then I thought since I was going to feed him.. might as well train him.

I put the biscuit into container and put it in front of him. Ace looked at the bicuit for a very long time. He stared and stared at the biscuit and then decided the try the old "doggy eats from a bowl trick" I mentioned earlier .

Alas, as the bowl had height.. he was unable to reach the biscuit and I guess he was really kind of hungry by then cos it was already 6pm. So he took his left hand and put it into the bowl to grab the biscuit. But he didn't know what to do after that and so he put it back into the bowl again.

He stared at the biscuit again.

And then he decided to try again and this time he used his left hand. He decided that was a bad idea and then transferred the biscuit into his right hand. And then he decided holding on to the biscuit was a bad idea and put it back into the container.

He stared at the biscuit again.

And then he picked up the biscuit with his fingers and folded it into the middle of his palm so that he would not drop it (cos it is very small) and then he put his whole fist into his mouth and tried to eat the biscuit. However, since he did not release his fingers, he just end up 'eating' his own fist.

So I decided that I better help him a little and I took the biscuit, put it between his fingers, pushed it towards his mouth and then try to push the biscuit in.

Then I put a second biscuit into the bowl and at that moment, the phone rang. I picked up the phone and started to talk and Ace tried to figure his way out. After trying for like 3 minutes, he was not very successful. At last resort, what did he do? He threw the biscuit away.. then he threw the bowl away.

After I finished my phone conversation, I chided him for throwing things away. I told him that is bad manners and that even if he is not succesful, he should not throw it away. He should try again. Then I told him that if he throws his biscuits and bowl again, I would not give him any biscuit and gave him an angry stare.

He started to make noise and cry and "PRETENDED" to be very upset (one look can tell it is a FAKE emotion) and so I repeated that i if he throws his biscuits and bowl again, I would not give him any biscuit and gave him an angry stare.

He understood. So he tried hard again.... I decided to help him again and by the third biscuit, he could push the biscuit into his mouth.

By the 4th biscuit, he could put 2 biscuits into his mouth at one time. Isn't it amazing how a skill he refused to pick up could suddenly be picked up within mere minutes?!

Now that he has learnt to do that, me and Waipo are teaching him to feed himself VP and many more.

Yesterday, he asked Daddy for his vege pie and when Daddy did not feed him, he just went ahead and tried to pick the pie up and put into his mouth.. only to break the pie into pieces... muahahaha..

Now, I am just waiting for him to feed himself porridge ;)

No comments: