Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seperation Anxiety?

Most children have some form of seperation anxiety and it usually stems from some form of insecurity when their parents are not around.

I always took pride in the fact that me, Max, our families and friends have given Ace so much love that he is a rather secure kid who doesn't cry much when we have to leave him with my mum and leave him. As long as we tell him before hand where we are going and how long we will be going away, he is usually ok to see us go. Even when he was a baby, he was already like that...

But recently though, it is as if he has taken on the archetype of the ORPHAN and he keeps expressing how unhappy at being excluded or even abandoned.

For example, when I went to Karen's wedding to be jie mei in the day, I did not bring Ace along and he gave me hell by asking me 1000 times why i did not bring him to Ganma's house during Ganma's wedding whenever he saw the photo.

The other day, I happily wanted to show him my vietnam trip photos but instead of being happy to see the photos (like the other time he viewed my bali trip photos), he started to cry with tears in his eyes and ask me, "Why you didn't bring me with you to Vietnam? Why i am not there in the photos??"

And if I showed him any photo we took in the past, even if it is a photo I took with max during our dating days, he would ask me, "Why I am not there?"

I wonder what this reflects about me in my life and my need to feel like I belong...

Previous Post: Yeye Can You Come My House?

No comments: