Friday, March 06, 2009

Ace's Dreamboard





Ah Yee is a Isetan Card member and because of that, I own a sub-card. So periodically, we would get info about the sales and the things that they are selling in their private sales...

The other day, Ace went to Popo's house and when he came home, he brought home their newsletter because he wanted to show us the things that he wanted us to buy for him...

"Mummy, I like this you know... Can you buy for me this, this and this?"

He wanted a quilted mat, a chair that can act as a treasure box and a rocking horse. We told him that he could only choose one and Daddy says he has to earn it.

So Daddy set him a goal to keep the house clean for 7 days and we will buy him the chair... cos the other two are actually more suitable for younger children... and he agreed. So in his bedroom, on the white board, we drew seven boxes. Everyday, we would get him to clean the house and award him with a star at the end of the day if he cleaned the house. If he collected seven stars, he would get the present that he wanted.

Day 1 was great because he declared that he wanted to keep the house. With the prize fresh in his mind, he was automatically motivated to keep things. He walked around the whole house and for once, without me saying anything, he just picked everything that he left on the floor and put them on the table.

And then we were in a rush to go out and so I told him, "You can pack the living room when we come back. We need to go off now.. later when we come back, if you pack the living room, I will give you a star..."

We went out, came home and the first thing Ace said when he stepped into the house was, "I am home already. I can clean the house now!"

Wah, after cleaning up after his world war 3 adventures, that was one of the most pleasing things I have ever heard him say in a while ;)

Day 2, he woke up early and started keeping and packing before we left the house...

Day 3, we were mostly at my mum's house and before we left, I asked him to keep his toys before we go. "I pack the house and you give me star okie?" he said and gamely went to pack everyone of his toys back into his toy cupboard. When he reached home, he asked for a star and I reminded him that he needs to keep our house clean as well and so he grudgingly packed and pushed the furniture back into place.

Day 4 onwards, because he packed the house everyday for 3 days and was not at home often for the next 3 days, thbe house was generally neat and tidy.... he finally got his chair BUT alas, the house looks like it has undergone world war 3 again. The good news is that now that it is a habit, He is more happy and enthusiastic to help to clean up after he plays with the toys.

Previous Post: Slurp!

No comments: