Friday, September 25, 2009

Big Boy Ace

The other day, while I was in Penang, Arthur and Mei, my biz coaches were telling me about how marvelous their youngest kid is. When he was very young, he developed some mouth rashes and the doctor said his pacifier may have caused that. And then, at age 3 or 4, he made a decision to give up the pacifier and just threw it away... his mother was so worried that he might suffer 'withdrawal symptoms and might not be able to sleep and kept asking him if he is sure about it but he has just made up his mind.. At night when he couldn't sleep and missed his pacifier, he did not make any noise but just sat at the floor of the stair case alone quietly...

I was so amazed when I heard that story...

But little did I know that when I came back to SGP, I was in for a surprise!

On my last day in Penang, my mum called Max a few hours before we were due home and told us that Ace has been vomitting the whole day after food. For two days, he did not go to school and had very small appetite. Because he often vomitted only after food, I kept reminding him that he had to eat slowly and eat little bit by little bit so that he would not vomit.

And just so that he would not vomit when he is sleeping, I asked him if it is ok tat he stopped drinking milk for a night or two to let his tummy and his body settle down

So he skipped milk for like two days and when he finally got better and I asked him if he wanted to drink milk, he said, "No Mummy, I don't need to drink milk already. I am a big boy already

And true enough, for the next 3 days, he made no mention of milk at night at all... I know it was not at all easy for him cos every night he would try to sleep and then walk out and ask for a drink of water.... but he did it, he made a decision and stuck by his decision

Bravo! Big Boy!

Since we had so much milk powder left though (cos i purchased them in bulk), Max suggested that we let Ace drink his milk nightly via a cup. So we asked Ace if he was ok with the idea and he gladly agreed.

A few days later, I was at his school and by chance, I met his form teacher, Teacher Erica, and discussed about his unwillingness to feed himself at home. When I fetched him home from school, I told him that I told teacher that he refused to feed himself at home...

He asked me why I told teacher that he did not feed himself at home, I told him it was because I wanted to let teacher know what he is doing at home. "BUT", I told him, "IF you still are a big boy and feed yourself at home, I will tell teacher that you are not a big boy and a good boy and feed yourself when you are at home too..."

"OK!" he replied happily. And then he thought for 3 seconds and asked me, "Did you tell teacher that I am a big boy and I never drink milk from a milk bottle anymore?" Ooops, I only remembered to complain but forgot to praise.. hahaha... "I forgot. But I will tell her that you are a very good boy and a big boy now... cos you drink milk from a cup.." "OK.." and he happily went about doing other things.

PS: Mum also commmented that Ace is really a very good boy. Even when he was feeling unwell, he didn't cry or make noise. He merely informed them when he vomited and just kept sleeping when he was tired and sitting there quietly when he was awake...

PPS: I sent Ace to school the other day and his teacher told me that she asked him why din he come to school for so many days and he told his teacher, "I vomit lor...".

"You must have been feeling really lousy...很辛苦哦?" his teacher commented. "Yeah.. 很辛苦... when I vomit hor, my mummy and daddy not at home..." he replied

Previous Post: Helicopter

No comments: