Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Ace Asked Me To Vote For WP



My 6 year old and I.. we had an interesting conversation yesterday night...


Out of nowhere, Ace asked me, "Mummy, do you support Worker's Party?" And he continued to tell me, "I support Worker's Party and I want to vote for them..."


I asked him why he wanted to vote for WP and he said it is because they are very popular and many people like WP... I asked him how did he know that and he said that Ah Yee told him that there was a lot of people at the WP rally..


Hahahahah...


And then he kept asking me to vote for WP too....


And then I asked him... if I voted for PAP, will it mean he will also vote for PAP? (I wanted to check if he is just following the crowd or really has some sort of thinking of his own..) Instead of answering me, he asked me instead, if he votes for WP, will I vote for WP too...


I told him I have not decided who to vote for and that i will vote for whoever I think is best suited for this position of MP in our GRC.. but I cannot vote for someone just because someone else has voted for them... have to listen what both parties have to say and decide for ourselves who to vote for...


But because there is so much news coverage and because we have had so many interesting conversations about the election at home... I wonder what is Ace's understanding of it all and whether it has anything to do with his choice of supporting WP (since many of one of my fren said her kids were brainwashed in school to support PAP.. hahahah.. but Ace is not in a PAP run kindergarten... tat being said, many of my frens who studied in PAP are still saying they going to vote for opposition this time round...)


So when we were sleeping, I asked Ace again.. other than WP being popular, is there any other reason that he wanted to support them...


"Why do you want to know?" he asked me to my surprise...

I explained to him that I was curious and wanted to understand how he feels... I told him there is no wrong or right answer as this is a personal preference but I just wanted to understand how he arrived at this conclusion...


So he told me he wants to vote for WP because WP is number 1!


I told him he has to decide what he means by number one. If it is determined by the number of pple attending your rallies, then WP wins hands down in our GRC.. hahaha.. My sis told me tat the WP rally filled the stadium to the brim... while PAP rally only had spectators seating at the seats... keeping the fields empty..

But if it is decided by the number of seats PAP and WP has... then PAP wins.

Ace then asked me what is a seat... so I had to explain to him that Singapore during election is divided into small areas called constituency. Each constituency will choose their own leader(s)... so each leader you can choose is called a seat... I told him based on the last election.. PAP has 82 seats.. but WP only has 1....


"So who do you think is number one?" I asked him after I explained...


"PAP.."


"So do you still want to support Worker's Party?" I asked him...


Ace shook his head and gave me a sheepish smile...


"Then who do you support now..."


"PAP lor.. I support number 1... I want to be number 1..."


Hahahahaha...If only politics is as simple as that:)


Previous Post: Qing Ming

No comments: