Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ace's Dreams


My son told me the other day that he has many dreams....

I asked him to share them with me and was expecting him to say that he dreams of becoming policeman or maybe dream of living in a condo etc...

But to my pleasant surprise, he talked only about helping people....

"My number one dream is for me to have alot of money.. so that I can share my money... Then I would like to use my money to buy things for the old people who are very poor.. I want to help them with my money and i want to give them money...."

I teased him and said that if he wanted to help old people, he would have to start with the ones staying with him... and so, he should not always quarrel with Zeng Popo.. muahahahaha...

And then I asked him what is his other dream...

"My number two dream is to help people who have no friends. If I go to a place and see someone with no friends, I will go and talk to them and be friends with them..."

I told Ace I am very proud of him for having such great dreams:)

But I also had a discussion with him about GIVING people. I shared with him that I found that there is a difference between giving because we would like to help a fellow man or giving because we feel sorry for someone. When we feel sorry for someone, it puts us in an unequal position like "I am better than you are.. you are so poor, so I have to give you.." And so, the things we give to these people end up not helping them. It either makes them unhappy to recieve it or makes them even more reliant on us.. which is not helpful for them...

So that he could understand better, I asked him that if he were a poor, hungry man.. and there are two persons.. one who came to be his friend and just shared his own food with him... or the other who came and gave him alot of money.. which will he prefer... Ace said he would choose the one who came to be his friend... I asked him why and he said because it feels good that the person cares and that moeny is no good.. So I explained to him that there is nothing wrong with money and it is actually a good idea to have more money... "Yeah, but friendship is more important than money..." he continued...

Then I shared with him two stories that I read the other day via facebook.. One was about how four girls did an experiment and went to four diff food places in singapore to ask for free food because "they forgot their wallet" and surprisingly, at each of these places, they found managers or waiters who paid for their meals out of their own pocket.. and they even had problem trying to pay them back the next day....

The other one was about how a man was mugged and robbed and he offered not just his wallet to the robber but also asked the robber to take his jacket to keep warm and even offered to have dinner with him.... in the end, the robber was so touched by his gesture of treating him right and caring for him tat the robber returned the wallet and even gave him his knife...

Ace says he really likes the stories because these people are so good.

I am glad my son is such a sensitive, loving little boy:)

Previous Post: My Amazing Man

No comments: