Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ace's BFF

After always hearing about how who doesnt want to play with him and how he has NO FRIENDS, it is nice to hear for a change, for Ace to talk about having BFFs...

He has been playing regularly with the neighbours' children... we have two other Filipino families on our floor and it started with him playing with the girl who is in the same school as he is.. since about two weeks ago, the other boy on the same floor stopped having homework to do and started joining them for games in the afternoon as well...

Ace came home one day and declared tat him, J (the girl) and JH (the boy) are all BFFs... "But me and J are VERY VERY BFF cos we knew each other first and started playing with each other first.. JH is only little bit BFF cos he only just started playing with us..." he declared..

But hor, I think that their BFF is no commitment type.. cos they are only BFF when they are playing together or on the school bus.. according to Ace, when in school, they actually pretend not to know or like each other... Duh???!!! ("We jia jia that we dunno each other.." he said..)

When i repeated this conversation to J's helper, she laughed..

And I think it is interesting to listen to him talk about his play dates too...

Once, he came and complained to me how it was difficult sometimes to play with them because "Today, JH and J are both in a bad mood.. I am the only one who is happy today and so I have to try and try to make them both happy... and finally, they are happy... so tiring..."

And yet another day, he talked about J's little sister A and said that A is very mean. she kept calling JH a loser (incidentally, the interesting fact is that she learnt this word from JH) and because A is mean to his friend, Ace decided tat A is too naughty to deserve his birthday donut...

I had to explain that firstly, A probably did not understand what the word "loser" means.. since she probably learnt it from JH (when he played a game of "I am a loser" and giggled repeatedly during one of their so called games..) and also, if she shouldnt call someone that because it is rude, as a gor gor, he should teach her.. not get mad at her and dun give her a donut..

I asked him how would he have reacted if A is his sister.. he said he would explain that she is too young to know better...

So I told him that he should treat A like his sister..

And then, there is the matter of this golden rule.. what happens between A and JH is between them.. it has nothing to do with Ace.. so I told Ace that they have to settle whatever happens between them themselves.. "But I dun like people to be mean to my friends!" Ace said..

"Yes, but A is your friend too, right?" I asked him.. he nodded his head grudgingly... And thankfully, he stopped complaining about the issue betweeen JH and A..

I liked it that this group of children like to share their toys.. usually, the case is that J will provide ingredients to do science experiments.. and also her house as the location of the play date.. and sometimes food... Ace will supply his lego toys and engineering set and bey blades... (apparently, to the other two children, his toys are very interesting cos all J has are girl toys like dolls) and JH being a little more tech savy will supply ipad and kinect... They have so far been taking turns to play and never had a problem with snatching toys...There is such pleasure and joy I see in Ace's face when he gets to share his toys with them...

Only A, who is three years old cannot grasp the concept of taking turns yet and so always has to be distracted with something else when the older children start playing:)

The good thing about this play date thingy is tat it is an incentive for Ace to quickly finish his work. I told Ace that he has to complete certain tasks before he can go out and play for 30 min... I really think Ace is a very good boy... he might ask for an extra 5 min of play time but he never complains.. and if I asked him to track the time himself.. he will try to remember to come home on time (even though he is always like 5-10 min late).. If I ask him to do his work first.. he just does it instead of trying to fight or quarrel with me over it:)

On my side, it is great lah.. cos the work he usually takes an hour to complete can now be completed in half the time:) hahahahah

Win win situation for us both:)

PS: Ace started complaining he has no friends again and when I asked him a few more questions.. he was just upset because some people he did not know gave him a mean face when he walked past and never smiled at him! Wah lau eh! I told him if he wants pple to smile at him, he has to start smiling at them first lah! Just smile and say hello everyday and after a while, they will smile at you and talk to you.. because some people are slower to warm up to people... he accepts what I say but is still a little upset.. I asked him why is he wasting time to be upset that people he does not know never smile at him.. he says it is because he wants many many many friends and he wants the whole world to be his friends..

I told him that if there is one thing I know he can do super well.. it will be MAKING FRIENDS! He is an expert at doing that and an expert in bringing happiness and love to people.. so he will surely be well liked and make friends easily.. just look at how he charmed all MY friends!:) "You needn't worry about this at all!" I told him...

Previous Post: Sofa

No comments: