Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Learning Singlish

Some time back, Max brought me to eat a very very nice dish called Canenolli or something like tat... we ate that when Godma Annie came to dubai to visit and Ace was staying over with her in her hotel.. so we said tat we will bring Ace there to try that dish one day...

Since we have been talking about this for a while, we decided it is time to bring Ace there.. alas when we reached there, we realized that they have changed the menu... so we ordered some other things instead...

Ace got a mushroom spaghetti with white sauce...

I got some sort of stew that I have never seen before.. the sides of steamed and lightly salted veggies tasted much better than I tot they would:) Yums:)

Max had lasagne...

After a very full and satisfying meal, we had to make our way home as Ace had school the next day...

While we were in the car, we were talking about Singlish and how I felt Ace should learn some Singlish:) So I started teaching him a few local slangs and singlish phrases like Wah lau, wah piang, wah kauz, sibeh xian, steady bom bi bi.... and "your england is very the powderful.."

And then I started testing his hokkien and we started talking about coffee shop phrases because Ace always has this game with his Yeye.. where he woulld go to their house to stay overnight and just before he sleeps, he will request for milo to drink.. Yeye told him he has to say to Nai Nai, "Aunty, Milo jip buay..." And the old and young will giggle non stop over this...

I told Ace that if he really goes to a coffeeshop to order milo, he has to ask for Tak Kiu.. because it means "kicking the ball" as Milo has a person kicking the ball in front of the tin.. and if he wants chinese tea, he has to order "diao hee" because it means "fishing" with reference to the teabag that they dig inside the drink.. just like they are fishing with a rod...

Ace was very much amused.. But by the time we reached home, (which was only like 10 min later), he already forgot most of what he has learnt! Hahahahaha.. He was supposed to bath before he went to bed and so he said, "Mummy, can you take down the dan tart for me?" And giggled. He had meant if I could bring the showerhead down for him... and afterward, everything he said, he said dan tart...

"I want to dan tart now... can you read a dan tart for me?" And he kept giggling.. I later realized that he had actually wanted to say Tak Kiu.. but as he forgot the phrase, he ended up saying dan tart for everything.. thinking tat it meant Milo.. hahahaha... And then he said that is his secret language.. you know.. like how smurfs always say smurf in their conversations... Ace just sprinkled dan tart liberally in his sentences and it seems to be able to replace any word he feels like replacing....

The funniest thing is that by the time he called Yeye about a week later, he tried to tell his grandpa that he knows how to order milo properly in hokkien, but he already forgot how to pronounce all the words... so he ended up with a very ANG MOH accented "Uncle, Tak kiu jit pueh..."

Me and Max luffed till pengz.... I certainly think he needs more Singlish lessons!:)

PS: Just FYI, when Ace was 6 months old in my tummy, I still had not found out what gender he was as he always crossed his legs whenever I went for a check up... the doctor asked me to go for a 10 min walk and come back again and see if he will uncross his legs and while walking, we promised Ace we will buy him a dan tart if he uncrosses his legs and let us know his gender.. and HE DID:) I guess maybe this is why he remembers DAN TART so well!:) hahahahahahaha

Previous Post: SGI GUlf Women's Division General Meeting

No comments: