Wednesday, June 01, 2016

School of Science And Technology

Some of Ace's classmates were supposed to go to for some exchange trip to Taiwan and so the teachers planned for so me post exam activities for the children who are not going...

And the teacher ordered kites for them to make.

When Ace brought back his kite, I was pleasantly surprised to see the things he drew on the kite...

I wonder... where he got inspired to write "Courage, Hope, Happiness.." on the kite.. But as i think back, I think it could be related to a conversation we had a few days ago about the importance of courage and hope and how it can help people overcome the most difficult times of their lives...

We also had another conversation about this thing called AIM FOR THE SKY.... it is based on a quote my friend, Gwen, always liked to say... she said.. if you aim for the sky, at least you will reach the tree top...

Ace told me he wanted to be a HIGH B STUDENT...  so I explained tat the finer aspects of goal setting is this... You have to aim higher than what you are currently capable of. If you aim same or lower, you have no motivation to improve. If you aim way too high, you may give up easily after a few tries since you think it is too hard... That is why we talked about AIM FOR THE SKY, AT LEAST YOU REACH THE TREE TOP:) And that is why he is aiming for A-Stars here:)

But, he also set some goals for the Cash Royale game he is playing.. hahaha..

Shortly after he set these goals though... Ace found out a real motivation to achieve these goals...

Remember the workshop he attended at the science centre?

He kept in touch with the friends he made there and one of them messaged him out of the blue and asked him if he was at the SST Open House and he was like, "What is SST?"

It was then that we found out that there is a School of Science and Technology whose educational curriculum is focused Ace's favourite things- Science and Technology! hahahahaha..

So we googled and read up about the school and Ace decided that this was the place he wanted to be and the secondary school that he wanted to go to..

But when I checked it's address ,I realized it is at Dover lor.... so it would be like a 1-1.5 hour journey to and another 1-1.5 hours home for him if he were to study there...

But when I told his dad, his dad says that if he can get in, he doesnt mind moving near to the school so Ace does not have to travel so much.... Wah.. I never thought I will one day do a 孟母三迁thingy for my son lor:) hahahaha

When I told Ace what his dad said, he was very happy....

Anyway, the website said that the school is only by invitation through application during the Direct Admissions Exercise... so leh, if he passes through, he just needs to pass his PSLE and makes sure he goes into express stream...

And that will mean that his final year exam results and also mid year results for P6 will be very important for him....

I told him to do a few sums of Math everyday. He said he will do so and the other day, while I was going through his math with him, he got agitated and started screaming at me. I asked him why he so kan cheong and scream at me? I am trying to tell him what is the correct way to do something.. he screams at me, he will not be able to hear what I am trying to say and will not be able to learn leh...

And then he paused and told me... "I cannot help it mummy.. I am sorry.. I am very jin zhang because I want to go to SST, I have to improve my maths!

He asked his friend who is studying there now what he needed to prepare and his friend says there is no need to really go study robotics or what.. he just really needs to work very very very hard and be super interested in science and all things related to science...

I asked a friend who was formerly a teacher who knew some teachers at the school and she told me a little about their selection camp and criteria. I think Ace has a good chance if they are just looking at that... But I am not sure how much weightage will be given to their results in P4,5 and 6.

Because of his dream to go to SST, Ace has finally started to grow an interest in making robots and is even saving up for a Mindstorms EV3 set...

I am glad to see a positive change him... He declared to me the other day, "I have a dream!
I am a changed boy!"

Hahaha.... But leh, given his 5 min interest in many things... I wonder how long this will last...... 

PS: After two weeks of doing math.. he stopped and went back to playing his Clash Royale liao.. Sigh.. time for a prep talk again.... Thank god the prep talk worked and he really DID NOT USE HIS PHONE TODAY!

Previous Post: Cayden's Performance

No comments: