Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Karate Class

In Ace's school, they are a given a choice of attending up to two extra curricular activities each week...

The array and assortment of activities they have to choose from is varied and interesting. For example, they have snow ski-ing classes, swimming, soccer, arts and crafts, horse riding, cooking, math, street dancing, karate and even circus acrobatics lessons available! Most of them though, got to pay extra... about $70-$100 sing per mth for these extra lessons that take place an hour after school once a week.

Since Ace still needed to work on his swimming, he was invited to attend the swimming confidence class and so we let him continue with his swimming..(he told me they are learning back stroke now... maybe by time he goes back to sgp, he can try to aim for a bronze cert)...

And since he is allowed one more option, we poured through the list and decided that Ace will go for karate class. Cos Ace has been asking for karate or taekwando or martial arts classes since he was three.. and we felt that this would be good for concentration and character building as well.

Anyway, when Ace got home from his class, he was all excited and beaming away... he said that it was great fun and that he had received a present from his teacher for doing good work.. apparently, according to Ace, he would recieve one for every lesson that he attended...

So we excitedly took pictures with it lor.. note tat my hand was holding on to the sculpture as well...

Anyway, right after we finished taking this picture, thinking that he was holding onto the sculpture, I let go of my hand and so did Ace as he tot I was holding onto it... BAD TIMING!

The sculpture dropped onto the floor and broke into three big pieces!

Ace started to cry.... I told him don't worry, I will get it fixed...

But he surprised me when he stopped crying after about a minute or so and told me, "It's ok, mummy.. I will get another one next week anyway.. you dun have to fix it..." And then he wiped off his tears and gave me a hug!

But I was determined to get it fixed since it was partially my fault. I asked Max to buy some superglue on his way home and told Ace we are very lucky that it broke into three big pieces.. so still relatively easy to fix...

Anyway, I fixed it at night after dinner and I told Ace we had to let it dry over night so he is not allowed to touch it in case it came apart... and he happily went to bed...

The next day, when he came home from school, he asked me.. "Mummy, how was the operation?"

"What operation?" I asked him..

"The karate kid has to go for operation mah..." he replied.. I showed him the end result and smugly told him..."Good as new...":P

Anyway, at his next lesson, he did not get another figurine.. apparently now he says they only get it during their first lesson and their last lesson.. wahahahaha.. good.. i was also thinking where to store so many figurines lor!!!!:)

Anyway, I asked him to share what he has learnt in his karate lesson and here is him, presenting what he has learnt in a video:P



PS: The second lesson he attended, he only learnt one new stroke. The rest is a practice and repeat of what he has learnt in the first lesson and so he seems less enthusiastic now.. wahahahaha... He keeps pleading us to pay 100 dirhams for his karate outfit but we thought we might want to put it on hold and only pay for it when he is sure he wants to do this long term... meanwhile i am happy for him to do this in PE shorts and shirt.. Or maybe we will only pay for an outfit when he graduates out of the white belt:) hehehe..

Previous Post: Ace's Plane

No comments: