Monday, January 30, 2012

Nosebleed!


During one of the days while Ace was down with the airplane disease, Ace kept sleeping and his body temperature kept going up.

So we asked him to go bath first.

Since he was sick, i decided to help him lah.. After I wet him, I soaped him... And then I started to wash away the soap.

And suddenly, I realized that it is very strange cos I keep seeing droplets of red water on my hand. Just as I was pulling my hand closer to investigate what these red droplets were, Ace suddenly cried out and I suddenly saw blood flowing like a water fall from his nose out onto the floor.

Ace cried and cried...

I got a shock but I remembered that when I watched TV, they said tat someone with a nosebleed should lean forward and let the blood flow out... so I just kept reminding Ace to lean forward.... I told him it is just a nosebleed maybe because he rubbed his nose too hard just now and some veins got broken or what but Ace cried and cried...

"It's just nosebleed... it is not painful right?" i asked him..

"No, it is painful..." Ace continued to cry and cry...

That got me a little worried... but after leaning forward for a while, the blood was still flowing and i started to panic a little.. still, I had to try to remain calm in front of him since he was feeling frightened. The pool of blood was getting bigger and even if i tried to wash it off, more blood dropped on the floor and formed a fresh pool.

I gave Ace a tissue and asked him to continue to lean forward and catch the blood with a tissue (so that it doesnt look so scary in a puddle on the floor) and quickly ran out to call out to Max to come in and help.. I figured he will know what to do since he was the head of St John's brigade while he was in school.

Max asked Ace to lean forward and used a handkerchief to catch the blood but after a while, the bloody flow stopped and we quickly dried Ace and dressed him and asked him to lie back on pillow for a while...

Once Ace settled down, I asked him again why he was crying. Was he in pain or anything...

"No, not pain already..."

"And why did you cry for so long?" I asked him..

"Because I was afraid i was going to die when i saw the blood..." he replied..

Wahahahaha:P Reminds me of how I tot I was going to die when I was 14 and had a chest infection.. the stupid doctor asked my mum to send me to the emergency department because if she did not, I might die in the night! Wat the %$*%&$%&$*...My life literally flashed in front of me while I was in the cab on the way to the emergency ward.. In retrospect now, I must not have been on the brink of death since I was made to wait a few hours before I managed to see a doctor and got an xray done:) wahahaha...

Another time I tot I was going to die was that I kept feeling unwell and tired... only to find that it was just symptoms of pregnancy:)

Anyway, according to the doctor we saw with Ace in Dubai, children fall sick to gain immunity to certain viruses.. so I quote, "It is quite normal for a child to fall sick with virus four times a year..."

Excuse me?? I mean as someone who believes in holistic health, I can understand the logic behind it lah.. but to be very sick four times a year is too much lah:) Maybe the doctor has this believe cos he thinks this belief will bring him lots of money:) wahahaha..

I told Ace since he only gets viral fever once a year or so... he must be not sick enough times:) wahahahaha.... But of cos I know it is because he has better immunity lah:)

PS: Another interesting thing that happened at the doctors is this.. the doctor asked us if we were travelling before this. "Yes, " we told him.. "We went back to Singapore..." so the doctor paused for a moment and asked.. "Are there mosquitoes there?"

"Yes," replied Max and after a pause, just in case this is helpful info to the doctor, he added that there has been cases of dengue fever in Singapore...

"No, no, I am not worried about that, I am more worried about Malaria..." replied the Indian doctor presumably from India.

Wahahahahah:) Singaporeans equate mosquitoes with dengue and Indians just equate them with malaria:) Talk about cultural differences!

But actually, I even wonder if the doctor knows where Singapore is.. hahaha.. Ok, maybe he does as many indians I have met here have been singing praises about what a wonderful country Singapore is and all the lovely things they heard from their friends who either migrated there or are working there...

Previous Post: Airplane Disease

No comments: