Monday, July 23, 2012

Camp Magic

Some time before we came back to Singapore, Max did some research online and found this camp called camp magic.

Apparently, it is a camp where the children will listen to stories, learn to dance, bake, do art, learn some acrobatics and play.. the camp has 7 full weeks of activities and each week follows a country theme. For example, Ace went to the camp during the week titled PERU and so he did Peruvian stuff and baked peruvian goods....

We thought Ace will have alot of fun since those are all the things he enjoyed doing and so decided to sign him up lor. Alas, the camp is very ex lor.. wahahaha.. so we only signed him up for one week and told him that that will be his birthday present from us.. so he will not get any toys or books as presents..:)

We made arrangements for Ace to take a school bus and so I tot I would just let him go to the camp on his own.. as I usually do when he goes anywhere new... Hahahaha.. But the other people around me are quite concerned that I did not go along with Ace as it is the first day... Erm..  Well, in my experience, my son always forgets my existence the moment he sees other children and has fun so my presence is not necessary:)

Anyway, he was also very excited about the camp and we spent some 20 min the night before surfing the camp magic website so tat I can tell him what to expect... Anyway, that is him saying goodbye on the bus.. a little apprehensive and a little excited:)

When he came home that day, he told me he made a new friend called Kai who is Japanese and sits next to him on the school bus ;) And then when I asked him what he did, his reply was "I forgot already cos we did so many things..." And all he would talk about is Kai this and Kai that and then he declared Kai his BFF...


I could tell though that he really enjoyed himself:) And that was enough for me..

The next day when he came home, I asked him again what he did and his reply? "The same lor..." Hahahahaha... and he said he made ONE MORE friend.. a girl who is Kai's kindergarten friend.. wahahaha...




Anyway, I know he must be having alot of fun as he is super agreeable most of the days and usually does whatever I ask him to.. which tells me he is in a good mood... (as oppose to him being in a bad mood over little things these few days which I suspect is a result of not having seen his dad for about a month..)


On Wednesday morning, something interesting happened. Ace requested to wear an orange shirt that he had worn before and when i asked him why, he said that when they were doing acrobatics, he and Kai teamed up and he managed to turn backwards to form a 'n' shape and let Kai stand on his tummy... so everyone said they did a good job (and everyone else wanted to stand on his tummy till he felt his tummy was painful... wahahah)

Anyway, he noticed that when he wore tat particular shirt, Kai wouldnt slip off as it has lots of prints... as compared to when he wore another shirt without prints.. so he wanted to wear that shirt again so that Kai wouldnt slip off... what a sensitive good boy ;)

Anyway, good time flies FAST and before we realize it, it is the last day of the camp already and parents are invited to watch their performance....




As the school that they are holding the camp is very far away from home, I decided to leave house early and so when I arrived at the school, I was like half an hour early.. and interestingly, while wandering around the school to look for the canteen, the first person I saw was Ace and his bestie:)


They were practicing on this wheelie thingy.. looks fun and I wish we could find this somewhere...:)



Ace suggesting that they try a stunt and pull each other while one person goes forward and the other goes backwards...

Ace performing the Diablo for me:)

Anyway, when I was seated at the canteen, I saw the children running here there and everywhere lor... they were doing all sorts of things and it felt like some long, extended break time! hahahaha.. No wonder Ace is enjoying himself here.. cos break time in school is his FAVOURITE TIME!:)

That is Bruce, one of the camp facilitators.. Ace says he loves Bruce cos he is so funny and Ace kept trying to tell me some story that Bruce told them about this character named Johnny Golfballs.. but most of the time, I did not understand what was going on in the story cos Ace was giggling throughout as he recounted the story... ownself tell story, ownself laugh lah...

Ace told me then that we were going to become trees.. and then ran off to gather with his friends to prepare for their performance... But I did not understand what he had meant..

I later found out that it was a totally interactive experience.. the parents were told we have two roles.. one was to stand in two lines and become the trees of the rainforest and another is to form a rectangle stadium...

That is us parents as a stadium and the children coming out into the "field"...

We were asked to only take pics and no videos as the songs were written by the children during the camp (they provided lyrics and ideas i think) and so they have the copyright...


And then they started singing a song that was about how our world is a village.. was a rather sweet and nice song actually:)

That's Ace clapping along...


As in Peru, their favourite playtime activity of the kids is to play soccer, they got some children and some parents to have a match...

Ace raised his hand and got chosen!:)

That is them fighting for the ball...

And so the story goes.. the ball flew out of the field far out into the dark dark forest...

And the parents had to form two rows of trees while the children walked back into the theatre..


The smiling trees:)


Once i the theatre, the story continued as there was this little girl named  Chimichuay went into the forest to search for her ball...



Interestingly, the parents were made to sit on the stage and teh sides while the children performed on the floor:) hahah

That is Johnny.. another of Ace's favourite story teller and he continued to tell of the girl's adventures through the forest where they met monkeys and cheetahs...
She tried to slip into the monkey house and the monkey lord snored... and inside the snores were words that said things that she did not want to hear... "We will keep her.. she will be our pet..."


And then the monkey lord turned into a jaguar and the snoring turned into a growling... and so there was some chase all around the forest...





 And she saw a blue butterfly and then turned into a butterfly...




I think the children were told the same story throughout the week.... this art piece is for them to draw their favourite part of the story after hearing it only once...

This one is them continuing to work little bit and build little bit more after listening to the same story everyday..

That is Ace and his BFF Kai;)
Since the camp, Ace has been bugging me to organize a play date with Kai.. wahahaha:)

This is another one of Ace's BEST FRIENDS.. the school bus Uncle who talks to Ace about how cancer is scary and how Tony Tan is president of Singapore..

That is Ace's camp tshirt:)

HE also made a necklace for me:)

That is Ace's group.. group 5

One more before Ace goes on the school bus to go home while I made my way to bugis to dinner with Ah Yee:)


I met Kai's mum and she was telling me that Kai also was raving about the camp.. Like Ace, he also requested to go for another week in the camp.. hahaha.. we both agreed though that the camp is very ex lor...  I really cannot imagine those ang moh parents paying $4k for their children to go for all 7 weeks!:)

Anyway, Ace told me that he wants to go to camp magic again next year when he comes back.

I am just glad that he enjoys it..

Previous Post: Expert In Making Anger Go Away

No comments: