Sunday, September 23, 2012

Parent Teacher Meeting

We had our first parent teacher meeting the other day in Ace's school.


We were sort of late so we missed the first bit of the headmistress, Mrs Sinclair's, speech. But I figured it is not very different from last year. From the bits I heard, they said they were committed to training our children to be good citizens of the earth and will be very strict with them and high expectations of them to become caring and responsible citizens of the earth. There is a change of ownership and it seemed that the new owners will be leaving most of the decisions to Mrs Sinclair so nothing much will be changing...

After the headmistress's address, we were asked to go to the individual classes and the teacher will be sharing with us what they have done in the past few weeks.

Unfortunately for Ace, his form teacher, Ms Roberts had to go back to UK urgently because of a personal family matter and she couldnt be back at all in the next few months as she has something very important to settle before coming back to Dubai. (They told us what it was and I do think it is a very valid reason to go back and stay behind.)

But it seems the school din have much luck with finding a replacement since it was so sudden. Initially they got a year two teacher who is supposed to be resting for the last leg of her pregnancy to sit in. After only ONE DAY, she said she found that it was very difficult to commit as she was very tired and couldnt give each and every child her attention.. so by the next day, a new replacement teacher came in. The replacement teacher is Mrs S, who is Ace's 2F classmate's mum and last year when their form teacher went to have a tonsillitis operation, Mrs S took over teaching the class and I remembered that she did a great job:)

Alas, she is only part time so she got another part time job and they got another new part time teacher Mrs SM to take over... and at least till Ms Roberts comes back..

Our session was held with the HOD, Mrs P and once we sat down, I can feel the fire in the air liao lor... the parents all started to question why they keep changing teachers... and then they insist that this is very bad for the child and will slow down the learning.... then they asked why they havent recieved this and that.. why other classes have recieved this and that...

And Max and I just looked at each other incredulously! I felt I was like in Singapore! And then I had a realization that ANG MOH parents are also kiasu!!!! wahahahahahah...

You know, it is not that I did not know or notice all these things but i just thought to be patient as the school is probably settling down too after a change over.. and as for the teacher thingy... it is something that cannot be helped.. too bad we are in this class!:) I suddenly had a "erm.. should I be kan cheong as well?" feeling while I was sitting there...

Usually I chat with Ace about school and check what he has learnt. So far, he seems happy and is still learning.. so I am happy:) whahahahaha..

Then some parents talked about why no reading books were given and I just find it strange... no reading book given you read the books you have at home lor.. hahaha.. Ok, she explained later tat she understands tat the parents have to be responsible too but her child doesnt like to read and unless it is a school book, he wouldnt read any.)

I always thought ang moh parents were very relaxed and so, this was really a huge surprise to me and Max:)  My friend says maybe these are Singaporean parents disguised as ang mohs.. wahahahaahahahahahha:) max says maybe we are relaxed cos we continued to give Ace work to do throughout so we dun only rely on the teacher.. so not so kan cheong.. But I think we are the coolest (as in not hot or kan cheong...) parents ever! :) wahahahhaha...

I remembered that my mum had very firm ideas about what to do and what not to do and so when the teacher says buy assessment books, she will ask me to tell my teacher NOT TO BUY because she feels it is unnecessary! I tell you... lao guah lor! They will ding dong a few messages then my mother satisfied with teacher's explanation liao then she will buy. But she does trust the teacher and is very thankful to them too. (I remember even though we were very poor then, she bought a hundred over dollar bag for my P6 form teacher as a thank you present.. in those days, that was hell lot to pay for a bag and not to mention, my mother was only earning less than a thousand dollars in her new teaching job.)

I dun think I am totally relaxed lah. I mean if someone bully my son I will feedback. If there is something I feel should be done but is not done, I will also feedback lah. Generally, as long as my son is happy and I feel tat he is learning, I am happy!:) wahahaha... I dun need Ace to be a math genius or wat.. like my mother's mantra, "All I would like is for you to do your best.."

Anyway, I guess other than complaining also nothing the parents can do lah:) This year there are a few new parents and they are quite friendly lah... Ace's class has from wat i see, one or two indian families, one french, the rest either UK or australia.. one mum brought up a point tat she was unable to help her child with his homework in year 4 cos it was algebra or something.. and asked if there is any help given to tutor the parents.. wahahaha:) so cute!:) I thank my primary school teacher Mrs Lee Hon Eng for drilling me in Math so I think I can handle all the way till primary 6:)

When the lesson ended, we took a walk around the room...

Then i realized why Ace has been drawing many figurines Kieth Haring style... he learnt this style in his art lesson and as usual, when he learns something, he will tend to repeatedly practice it till he gets the hang of it. I think he is trying to recreate THIS (below) picture by Kieth Haring.. But my son very cute lah.. he added karate belts cos he says these people are doing karate.. wahahahaha.. When I asked him though, he said this is called Cartoon Style.. so I guess they havent been told much about Kieth Haring.. I think I will google and let him read later...





They also did portraits.. that is Ace's portrait of his friend Damien...

This is Damien drawing Ace.. hahaha. I wonder why he coloured Ace's ears ORANGE:)

Then leh, it was time to go home.. but Max took a wrong turn.. so we decided to go see cars:) This is taken outside Ford Motors.. such a beautiful day, dun you think?

While Max was looking around in Ford Motors, Ace was just drawn to the Mustang (because I told him it is a sports car).. and wanted to pose with it..

When we went home, he insisted on taking the mustang brochures home too so that he can show his friend.. wahhahaha:)

The end result was we din see any cars we liked that was within our budget:) wahahahahaahah... so will stick to our trusty Forrester for now:)

Previous Post: National Day Celebration In Dubai

No comments: