Wednesday, September 26, 2012

You Don't Need To Vomit Blood Already

I have been putting in effort to complete a little bit of math or chinese work with Ace whenever he comes home from school because I thought it might be a good idea to expose him to the Singaporean curriculum as well.

So usually, we alternate between chinese days and math days. Chinese days, we would do one lesson from the chinese textbook, learn some new words, have some spelling and perhaps if there is time, a little bit of work from the assessment book I bought.

Chinese days are tough because Ace is sort of struggling with hanyu pinyin still. Even though he has had good foundation in kindergarten and is good in phonics, he has trouble remembering how the ending sounds are like especially if the combination is a slightly more complicated one like IANG or IONG...  So sometimes, even after I feel I have spent enough time on that sound and that he should already know it well, I will find that he is unable to write it out when tested and I will get really frustrated..

One time, while I was feeling frustrated and he was whiny (which made me even more upset) I told him "Teaching you this makes me feel like vomiting blood... I repeated so many times but you still don't bother to remember!"

But after I felt better, I apologized to him lah.. but this sort of became a standing joke among us. Whenever it is Chinese day, Ace will cheekily tell me, "Oh no, mummy, today you are going to vomit blood!" and giggle..

The other day, I was feeling really tired.. partially lack of sleep, partially cos i was out in the hot sun in the afternoon and partially i was not feeling very well... (the sun in dubai always makes me feel dam tired.. as long as I go out and walk in the sun for more than 20 min, I always come home feeling very shagged) so I was really not looking forward very much to my blood-vomitting Chinese day session with Ace.

But still, it is my commitment to him and so I forced myself to sit there and still go through the work with him. Midway through our session, Ace said he had to go and poop... so i thought I would sit down at the sofa for a while. But within seconds (i think) I just fell asleep! That was how tired I was..

When I woke up, Ace told me, "Mummy, today you don't need to vomit blood already because I already finished all my work.."

I thought he meant that he finished the work we were going through but when I checked, I found out that he actually assigned work to himself and finished all of it. And the best part is, it was almost as if he could read my mind! He really assigned all the work I had wanted to assign him that day (even though I haven't told him or assigned them yet), no more, no less!

I am so impressed!:) What a good little boy:) So as a reward, I let him have a longer playtime that day lor:)

Anyway, that nap felt great lah.. though it was a mere 30 min.. it gave me enough energy to continue on till the night:)

Previous Post: My Indian Cooking Lesson

No comments: