Friday, March 21, 2014

Global Village 2014

Every year in Dubai, starting from November or so till March, there will be a super big pasar malam called Global Village. It started off as a fringe activity in the Dubai Shopping Festival that happens in the first month of the year, and eventually became an annual tourist attraction all by itself.

The first time we visited Global Village was when we visited Max here in Dubai in 2011.

We were here for a month or to visit and so Max would bring us here and there...

Back then, it was such an eye opener to see things from different parts of the world and to see all the beautiful set ups they build to represent each different country....

Then when we arrived in Dubai in  2012, Annie godma and her parents came visiting and so we brought them there as well...


Last year, when we went, Ace did not get to take the rides there because someone died on the Ferris Wheel when it malfunctioned and he was sort of disappointed... But at least he bought himself an African Drum (which he only played like no more than 10 times in the past one year.. ) hahaha... But it was still sort of fascinating to visit the place..



This being our 4th visit... I no longer stopped to take picture of anything and everything:) wahahahaha...:) We just go simply because nothing much to do in Dubai :) Also we never know what we might find there.. the last two times I went, I managed to buy something nice:)

Over the years, I think the stalls start to be mixed up liao.. you can see all the CHINA stuff selling in INDIA or PAKISTAN, etc...  And of cos all the Arabic costumes and spices are no longer very exiotic to me anymore....




But still got things to take photo of lah.. like there was a mini cooper exhibition there.. all antique minis.. very cute lor!:)









Ace was very bored to just walk around... and heng lor.. we saw a booth that allowed you to kick a football into the board.. if it went into a hole, you get a prize.. if it did not.. you also get:) wahaha.. the price is some sort of horn tat you blow. very loud.. and Ace was very happy to blow to his hearts content as I think it will not be possible for him to play with the horn at home:)

Last year, when we visited, the Singapore and Malaysia booth looked HORRIBLE!


It looked LIKE THIS!:(



THis year at least got improvement....
Swee boh..

Still got Merlion leh!

Also hor, last few years we came, Singapore always selling magic mop.. now.. they still sell mop.. but is the type where the pail will turn to squeeze out the water type.... PLUS on top of that, they also sell those Magic Bullet Blender as well...

Felt quite qin qie to walk in and hear Malaysian accented Singlish :) wahahahaha....

Took the chance to look at these turkish lamps as they are what we will likely want to buy as a remembrance of our time in the middle east when we leave:)

The surprise is really Egypt...

cos this year, they had some sort of FREE museum for you to visit.. when we went in, the guard say not open yet wor.. but because alot of people were waiting outside, they let us in:) and the exhibition was quite awesome:)

Firstly, they had miniatures of the egyptian ruins....







One of the Kings...



I know these are replicas... but I am still very impressed! 

 This is the famous Neferiti Bust... apparently is bust of the wife of the Pharoah...
Aiyah, read yourself.. wahahaha...









While I was taking picture of his mummy coffin, someone told me.. I assume this man is Egyptian... "This is just a replica, come visit Egypt... it is better and nicer!" Hahaha.. I just smile at him.. sorry mate, that one not in my travel list YET :)





I like this bust of the pharoah T... dunno wat.. very long name:) wahahaha







While walking around in the exhibition, I felt like I was in a pyramid.. cos they make you walk to this small black room and they put on statue there.. like guarding something... I was wondering what they were guarding... till I walked through to the next room...

There were two mummified bodies there! I know these are replicas but the hair on my arm stood up.. I paused there and waited for my fren to catch up and have her walk behind me... so scary.. I wonder how Ace walked through this place and if he was scared...

he later told me he was one of the first to pass through this place and that he was not scared at all:) wahahah...



There was even this guy on PHOTO duty:)


HE hor.. take take take.. till the last batch of photos THEN remember to put on his hat:) wahahaha

REplicas you can buy...



We thought this sign is quite entertaining:) Haha.. but leh, my frens who work with egyptians told me that they usually write very bad english..i think because certain phonetic sounds in the english language do not exist in their langauge.. so they will spell wrongly... 


THen we walked around and Ace wanted to go to the arcade area but it was quite late already... so I told him dun go lah.. plus I dun feel safe after the accident last year.. i mean, someone died cos the machinery broke or something... and then he started to throw a tantrum...

We happily viewing fireworks.. he just sit beside me and SULK...





In the end, I promised to drink ginger ale with him when we get back... then he kam wan to smile... hahahahaha...

WHile he was having tantrum, he complained that he hates Global Village and that it is boring and that he doesnt want to come anymore next year. I told him Dubai no place to go.. if he dun go, stay at home more boring.. PLUS.. while he was there, F bought him ice cream, he also got to try lots of nice foods... why dun he think of the good things he recieved than what he wanted but did not get?

In my heart though, I was thinking also dunno whether next year got chance to go or not.. will we still be here? I guess so bah... sigh...

ANd with that, we drove home lor...

See this flyover?

Everytime we pass this flyover, Max will luff at me.

You see, this flyover is not here when I first arrived. I think it was built a year after I arrived. So one day, while we were at this same traffic junction, I heard "bom... bom... bomm..." ANd then I told Max I think there are fireworks again...  and he laughed and laughed.. cos turned out that that was just the sound of the cars travelling on the flyover...

I swear to you sounds like fireworks cos when I told Ace it is fireworks.. he believed me too!:)

Anyway, Max NEVER forgets to laugh at me every time we pass by this place.. by saying, "Wah, fireworks ah.." when the sound came on... %&$%&$%*$&%(%....


PS:We went to outlet mall before we went to Global Village to look see look see cos Max wanted to buy some gear as he is taking part in some running thingy... Saw some interesting shoes:) Same series as the pink poodle ones that I posted some time back... but these are SHINY!



 I really dunno who will wear these sort of shoes except maybe teenagers :) wahahaha.. but they are apparently BRANDED

Saw this german outfit in Tchibo and so tempted to buy cos it is so cute:) wahahahahaha... can wear and drink free beer in oktoberfest.. but wait a minute, I have NEVER been to oktoberfest in Dubai ever because of Ace... so.. forget it lah.. save money.. just take picture for fun lor:)


Previous Post: The Singaporean In Him

No comments: