Monday, September 12, 2005

Housewife


"Hello, can I speak to Angel please?"

An unfamiliar voice was on the other line when I picked up the phone the other day. My friend had referred this person to call and ask me about whether I could help her with a survey.

As I had just woken up from a short nap, I didn’t really feel like talking to her.

“Edmund (friend who referred her to me) tells me you are a housewife…”

HOUSEWIFE

She did not exactly spit out those words with disdain but for some unknown reason, the word conjured a picture of someone with messy hair, unwashed pots and pans and many children running around in my mind.

At that moment, I felt very offended. Bloody hell, I am an entrepreneur, not a housewife you silly woman! And even if I were, it is none of your bloody business why I am one.

Not realizing that she was offending me, she went on to ask, “May I inquire why you are a housewife?”

“Because I am RICH and can afford to stay at home!” I tell her.

Bah. You didn’t think I was such a rude person, did you? Hahaha.. That was just the thought I had privately in my mind cos I was pissed. In the end, I told her about my son and agreed to meet.

I distinctly remembered being very proud of being a housewife when I talked about how I battled the day (read Battlefield Day 1 and Battlefield Day 2) and its daily tasks. I wonder what made me feel different.

I wonder why I felt as if I ‘despised’ the term housewife being used on me.

Do not get me wrong. I have utmost respect for women who stay at home and devote their lives to their family. I just get upset when people see me as such and ONLY such.

In my friend's words when I complained to her about the above episode, "Don't be offended by people calling you "housewife" la. That is the most honourable lifelong career in the whole world lei. Haha... "

But I am no mere housewife! I am SUPERMUM! SUPERWIFE! SUPER WOMAN! I can hold the pan as well as the pen!

I guess giving birth and taking care of Ace has given me a chance to stay at home and do nothing for too long. I sometimes feel very out of touch with the real world. And it is the somewhat lack of confidence that is really biting me.

I can’t wear the clothes I used to, I can’t wear my favourite power suits (still can't fit) and high heels (for the safety of Ace) and am perpetually in jeans and track shoes.

As hubby takes charge and takes over most of the business aspect, I find myself feeling a little lost and sometimes even redundant. I find that on Saturdays and Sundays, I often ask, “Dear, what’s our schedule today?” only to be informed on the very day that we have certain business appointments.

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” I asked hubby.

“But isn’t all your appointment same as mine?” he asked me.

I can’t even attend a meeting without bringing Ace along. Half the time, I can’t even concentrate and give suggestions like I always do. It’s like I can’t even think properly as I am thinking about whether Ace is ok and how to feed him if he gets hungry.

When I go back to office, I find that I don’t have much to do except carry Ace around and feed him (which takes up most of the time).

But on the other hand, where to find a JOB like that? Don’t have to do much.. walk here walk there and I still get a decent income. Meeting also can bring son along. I know I will fit into my suits sooner or later..

I guess I am happy to be a housewife entrepreneur. Haha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dats y I prefer saying im a homemaker, not housewife. And I'l correct them too if they say the latter!
BTW, wat product or service are u dealing with in ur job(MLM)?

Anonymous said...

sorry, forgot to identify myself earlier... sleepy soomay here :)

<*ANGEL*> said...

Soo May: Hahaha.. thanks for reading my blog and leaving a message;)

You got time to login meh? How is Lynus?? ;)

Well, all sorts lah.. we deal with multi dimensional businesses and educate people on ways on how to improve the quality on their lives in different aspect.. physical, emotional, financial.. etc;)

Haha.. are you interested to become entreprenuer homemaker? ;)