Thursday, December 04, 2008

Achievement

Ace is really growing up.. he is starting to understand recognition and even have a sense of achievement when he manages to do certain things.

If he has done something well and we forget to praise him, he will remind us... "Mummy, I so clever leh..."

The other day, he said something that kind of surprised me and let me really understand that he is really starting to understand what is achievement and a sense of recognition.

You see, since Ace was about 1.5 years old, he has been going for right brain training lessons. During his lessons, there is a segment on memory games. The teacher will show the children pictures of 4 objects in a particular order. First for 30 seconds, then 10 seconds, then 2 seconds.. and afterward, the children will have to rearrange the pictures of these objects in the correct order as seen.

When Ace started out, he was quite good at it. He gets at least half of them right at least half the time.

Then for some unknown reason, his brain started to reject this activity. For the longest time, he does not even want to place the picture cards in the correct location. He is just plain not interested.

After a month of cajoling, he started to place them in.. but he would anyhow place and always get ALL WRONG.

Then he changed school and this did not seem to change. It went one step furthur with Ace insisting that he does not want to follow the teacher's answer sheet and he wants them in HIS WAY, HIS OWN ORDER and he insists that HIS WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY.. (so young, already so much control..)

This very patient and 随便mummy just let him be lor.

Then all of a sudden, last week, he like suddenly GOT IT and 开窍 like that. Without my saying ANYTHING, he just paid alot of attention to teacher's cards for that 30 seconds.. and then afterward when he was putting the cards in the right order, you could really see him contemplating, remembering and using all his focus....

I asked him, when he was done, "Is this the same as Jin Sensei's pictures?"

"Yes!" He told me very confidently.

Once Jin Sensei flashed out the cards, within 1 second, he realized that he got all right and he told me, "Yeah! I got all right!"

I was really shocked because firstly, he could tell he had all right within a second.. (I usually had problem even asking him to put it back into the correct position when the answer key is shown) Secondly, I also not aware he had all right until he shouted that and I double checked again.. and mostly it was because i could feel his happiness at accomplishing this task.

But the next 10 second one.. he got distracted by a crying classmate beside him and got it all wrong.

And for the 2 second one, he got it all right again! I very amazed lor!

And if I must add, I am very happy.. JIA YOU, Ace!

Previous Post: See You Later

No comments: