Thursday, December 01, 2011

I Want, I Am Willing

Many moons ago, a little bird once told me that the mantra to get ANYTHING done.. and I mean ANYTHING is "wo yao, wo yuan yi" which loosely translated to english means, "(If) I want, I am willing.." And that means that anything is possible as long as you are willing to do anything to achieve it...

And this stems form this little ditty that I learnt when I attended a self enrichment programme many years ago. I cannot remember the whole thing now... but I think it starts with something like "Fulfilling my dream starts from my mindset..."

And the only part I can remember is this part that goes like this:
If I can't, then I MUST.
If I MUST, then I CAN!

I must say while such a hard and aggressive approach is no longer really my style now, this mantra has helped me achieved many of my goals in my life:) Many of them turned my life around and made my life the way it is now.. and I am grateful for it.

I noticed though, Ace is not very good at understanding this concept that if you want, you must be willing.

When we first arrived in Dubai, Max tried to motivate Ace to help out with housework with a star system. Certain things he did earned him a certain number of stars. And every two stars is one dirham.. which is 1 dollar here.. so whichever toy he wants to buy, all he needs is to earn enough number of stars.

Initially, he was really excited lor. He would help out with all sorts of things.. fold clothes, wash his own plates, cook rice... but in about a week, all these seem to feel boring to him lor...

Whenever he wants something new, he says he wants it and we would have to remind him that he needs to earn stars to earn it. And then he would sulk...

The other day, after he saw a little boy play with an electric car in the park, he kept saying that he wants a car. I told him that we can buy for him if he has enough stars so the following week, he made us take him shopping to find out the prices of the cars. I even helped him to take pictures of the car that he would like and how much it will cost.




Strangely though, when I remind him to do something to earn stars, he would rather play and lay around then do it and earn his star...

Or he will conveniently push the blame to his dad and say his dad forgot to give him stars even though we told him that it is his job to REMIND daddy to give him stars for something good he has done for the day.

Anyway, a few weeks later, I was out just window shopping with him and he has a new want... "I want a Kinect, mummy..." And that is a mere week after he insisted that a kinect sucks and that I should get a WII when I told him that i wanted to buy a kinect... "And I want the kinect sports games.."

"I tot you wanted the electric car?" I asked him..

"Ya, that one I also want.. so when I earn my stars, the first thing I want to buy is the kinect, and then I earn stars to buy the electric car.. and then I will buy my lego and my hotwheels..." he said.. as if he is well planned....

But 3 minutes later, he changed his mind and said that he doesnt want kinect anymore, he wants a wii and asked if I can buy him that as a xmas present. I told him I will buy him a kinect game as an xmas pressie and he said ok and was quite happy... Yet another three minutes later, he said he changed his mind and would rather not have the game and have something else "But I havent thought of what I really really really want yet.." he told me...

Perhaps, I guess... in this case, I figured.. that it is not that he does not understand the concept... perhaps, in this case, his lack of motivation is a good demonstration of how much he actually does NOT really want something:) wahahaha... I think it is just a temporal lust over the toy.. but it is not really like a burning desire to own it...

PS: Since we are on this topic.. I tot it apt to share here... my son has been telling me that he wish or wants to be rich when he grows up very often lately. The reason is because his biggest secret wish is that he will grow up, make alot of money so that he will be able to drive a super fast car like a ferrari.. and it has to be red!

And so, he has been telling me about this secret dream a few times and even wrote it down inside his "dairy" book that he made after he was inspired by the book Diary of The Wimpy Kid that he borrowed from the school libarary.

But a few days ago, he watched a movie with me where there was a wreck accident and I just mentioned that they were in an accident because they were driving too fast.. and it is not safe.. and gave him a lesson on driving safely when he has a car... and add that to the little accident he had with the four wheeler at the park (and I gave him another talk on road safety), he told me the other day that he has changed his mind a little...

His biggest wish is still to get rich.. and still to buy a red ferrari... But since it is dangerous to drive it very quickly on the road, he will buy and KEEP IT AT HOME!

FAINTZ.. hahahahahhaahahahahaha!

Previous Post: I Am From Horizon School

1 comment:

Yappy said...

I also think is becos the motivation to laze is greater than the desire to have these things.