Monday, October 20, 2014

The Most Relaxed Student Ever!


I don't know if this is considered good or bad.

If you think from a very positive mindset leh, I think my son has a very good grasp of what we call "平常心" in Chinese.

You see... before we returned to Singapore for good, I often wondered how I will be and whether Ace will adapt to the exam system in Singapore and whether Ace will be overwhelmed.

Back in Dubai, exams where sort of a non event. We were informed there will be exams next week and then... one day, Ace will return and tell me, "Mummy, I had my math exams today. I think is not too difficult.. I think I did well..."

And then end of the term, we get a report card tat only tells us if Ace is on par with his peers or not. And usually, he is doing at the level he is supposed to do well.

What this did for his perception of exams was that he takes it really easy. He thinks of exams as sort of a non event.. even though he has a desire to score and do well... and yet, because he has been doing relatively well in his class tests, he finds that as long as finish homework... he can pass his exams.. can liao and ok liao:) hahaha..

So instead of being overwhelmed by the exams here, Ace really carried over his nonchalant attitude towards tests and exams and as the final year exams are drawing near, I find I need to give special prep talk many times to him to encourage him to study well for his exams.

But hor, tok too much he find me naggy and boring.

And while he started working a little on his exams (where he will be hardworking for one day and relax for two days afterward), his attitude towards exam is... "ok lor, you ask me to do what preparation, I do lor.. but dun ask me to do too much or I will be upset cos I still need time to enjoy myself..."

Even though I tell him just cheong for the next two weeks only.. he say OK and he still very relaxed..

A good example is that he will be having his final english exam today. And over the weekend, what did our good friend do? He just finish whatever little homework I gave him and then he will watch tv lah, play with his toys lah... tomorrow english exam, night before what he do?

He asked his dad to bring him to library to borrow story books and reads story books...

Really the most relaxed little boy ever lor!:)

Today when I went to pick him up, and asked him about his english exam. He just said, "It's ok.." and then went on to talk to me about other things. When I asked him more about his exam, he pretended not to hear me and changed topic! Win until finish lor.. hahaha..

Maybe he dun understand what is cheong...

Maybe he is doing fine the way he is... hahaha.. I don't know..

In a week or two when he results are out, we will know:)

But I am glad though that me and Max are also.. only little bit kan cheong:) wahahahahaha.. WE DID NOT BECOME THE KIASU PARENTS WE FEAR we might become if we return to Singapore!:) hahahahha...

PS: The highlight of our talk on our way home.. was actually about the fact that he has scored 96 for another practice test his teacher asked him to complete. This means he has scored more than 90 for 5 tests or more and will get permission to buy the navy design GShock that he wanted to buy. Actually hor, over the weekend, they already bought but it is now placed on Gohonzon table for Ace to chant .. till he hits his target, then he can wear and claim it for his own..

Previous Post:  Gong Gong's Birthday

No comments: