Friday, February 09, 2007

Ace And The Doggie


Ace usually likes to chase cats and dogs when he sees them at the void deck.

The other day, an overtly passionate cat chased after him and frightened him. And the very next day, Ganma Karen brought her doggie to our house to visit Ace. Still remembering the cat, Ace was initially very frightened of the dog, he cried and refused to go near her...

As time when on, he started to get used to the dog.. then Laoma asked him to go over and sit with her and told her in teochew, "Mama pak pak.. miang kia.." (grandma beat the dog, dun be afraid).. that is not the best of wat to teach Ace I feel.. since I dun want him to think that hitting dogs are right.. but strangely, when he saw Laoma do the hitting session.. he started to wave his hands as if following the action and started to smile!

Maybe he felt good that he was protected. But I did tell him later that we have to protect little cats and dogs and so we have to sayang them when we see them.

By the end of the visit.. Ace was even brave enough to feed the doggie treats! ;)

Speaking about protecting our children... the other day, A brought her daughter to office... and then since she had to go off to do some work, she told her daughter, "Dont cry ok? If you want to cry, cry loudly..." and then she went off. When she came back, her daughter was crying and clinging on to her for her dear life.

"Aiyah, you pretend to cry one lah.. go go.." and pushed her toward someone else which made her cry somemore... and meanwhile, A started to laugh as if her daughter crying was something very funny.

"Aiyoh, first time i see mummy like that one. How can you like tat. Your daughter cry you not heart pain meh?" C asked.

"No lah.. she always pretend to cry one. She is VERY NAUGHTY one.. "

And I gave a sigh in my heart and my heart really go all out to the little girl. I went up to her and told her, "It is ok, dun worry, mummy is still around. She has to go work now so she can earn money and buy things for you to sayang you. We are here to protect you and play with you. It is ok. Mummy will definitely come back later.. ok?" and she stopped crying.

I mean.. i think it is not a coincidence that this little girl has a very sad face and a sad mouth even when she is not crying. How can the parents not understand what she is thinking at all?

My thinking is.. if you keep telling your child that he or she is naughty, he or she will just do what you tell them they are doing. And if you think about it, most of the time, children are naughty to get your attention. If you think that is unreasonable, then parents should reflect on the amount of time and the quality of time they have with their children because happy children who are full of love are not like tat. Happy children who have been given lots of love dun need extra attention from you!

Ace will also cry if i push him to strangers. But I always prepare him before hand and assure him I love him and will be back and he is happy to play with everyone after that.

Did you know that when Ace is in deep sleep, when I tell him that I love him and kiss him, he will actually break out into a SMILE? That's the beauty of love, people, and that is what our children want most from us. Not our money or our clothes or the food with gave them.. but our LOVE.. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!

2 comments:

Perfectwound said...

Wow....I really lot a lot of parenting by reading your blog, mainly because I was brought up in a different environment unlike Ace's.

So where do you learn so much about parenting? And how do you punish Ace when he's naughty?? I know I will definitely become frastruated and might do something harsh if my kids are naughty.

<*ANGEL*> said...

Hahaha.. I was probably brought up in the same environment as you. Our parents are those who dun like to praise kids and dunno how to show their love type...

I learnt so much about parenting from my mentors who teach me alot about understanding human beings and how to unleash their potential.

Ace is never naughty leh ;) So I dun punish him much lah.. sometimes when he is mischievous, I just put him in the playpen and explain to him that what he did was dangerous and that i fear for his safety when he does that.

If you know what I know about human psychology and what HUGE IMPACT parents have on their children, you WILL NOT be harsh to your kids I am sure ;)

If you are interested to learn more about developing children's potential or developing your OWN potential, you can actually email me at verityy@yahoo.com