Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fucking Bananas

I knew one day I would have to talk to Ace about vulgarities. But what I did not expect is that the day will come so soon.. so shortly after his fourth birthday.

The other day, while we were just sitting around and enjoying each other's company after not having seen each other for 3 or 4 days, Ace suddenly told me, "Fucking bananas!"

"What did you say?" I asked him.

And then he repeated, "Fucking! Fucking bananas!"

So I asked him where he learnt that from.

"Dylan said that in school.." he told me. So I asked if teacher knew about it and scolded him. "Yes, teacher say cannot say this word because it is a bad word..."

And so I explained to him that the word 'fuck' is not a bad word (I didn't want him to think love-making is a wrong thing or a bad thing) but it is just that when people use this word, usually they use it to scold other people. So when you say the word fuck, it is like scolding the other person and so it will make the other person angry or sad. "Do you like mummy to scold you, popo to scold you, Papa to scold you?" If you dun like people to scold you, other people also do not like it when you use words like this to scold them.

And then, I don't know if it because he doesnt understand what i was telling him, Ace kept asking me again and again... "Mummy, is it cannot say the word fuck? It is because it is a bad word?"

He asked me at least 5 times and I explained at least 5 times and then he asked me, "But why Dylan can say fuck..."

So I told him that it is Dylan's choice. "Do you choose to be a polite and courteous boy? Do you choose to be a good boy? If you choose to be a good boy, and you will choose to not say this word, right?"

"Yes," he said.

"Dylan can make his own choice about what he wants to do but that does not mean that you need to follow him. You make your own choice based on what you want."

And I think he kind of understood what i meant because after that, he asked me "So why Dylan choose to be a bad boy?"

"Well, I am not sure if Dylan said that because he choose to be a bad boy. But people do things for different reasons. If you want to know why, you will have to ask Dylan..."

And that was it, end of the very difficult conversation.. hahaha.. ok lah, it wasn't really that difficult as I was just really matter of fact about it and after that, I never heard him say that word again...

Previous Post:

No comments: