Monday, October 15, 2012

Ace Recieves An Award Again!

 Ace received an award again at school...   this time is for something academic like "giving clear explanations for science vocabulary they have learnt in the week.. so we gave him a pat on the back and made him decribe "photosynthesis" to us.. to my surprise, he can do it quite well!:) Not bad.. considering I only learnt this when I was 9 or 10:) I guess he really does have a keen interest in the sciences.. just like his mummy:)

 I am glad that took the parent's feedback seriously in school and really allowed the kids to bring back their books for us to take a look at what they have been doing...

So now I know he has been practicing and doing his sums.. no wonder his math seems to be improving:)
 And they have this thing called a Radical Learning Journal...

 And they are now learning how to Mind Map.. interesting:)




His story is not bad leh:) I am impressed..

What an interesting concept, they ask the child to complete a piece of work and rate themselves, and the teacher rates them..

Max says that even he cannot think of such interesting rhymes:)









They were learning about THE BRAIN...

Fact sheet about PLANTS.. very nice drawing too...

He says that is like a scene looking out into the sea... (see the ship?) That thing flying in the middle the sky is a bird.. and then the other one on the left right.. that is the dolphin jumping out of the water like those we saw at ocean park:) Wahahahah.. nice right?:P

 That is them doing their learning inside and outside the classroom.. how fun!:)

Also, Ace just had some poetry performance in class where everyone had to learn a poem and recite it. I made Ace memorize the poem and because only two people in the whole class memorized the poem, he and the other girl who did won three housepoints each for their house:)

Here is  a little video of Ace performing at home for his dad ;)



In addition, Ace's arabic has been improving by leaps and bounds! He now knows many more arabic words and he even scored 3 house points by being the best in class the other day!:) I think a good teacher makes all the difference.. last year, Ace always only remembered wat he learnt on the same day and forgot about it the next.. this year, he will come back and share what he has learnt and he can say many things like "I am from Singapore, " or "What do you want?" And that is all because he has a new Arabic Teacher called Mr Mohammed...  so everyday he comes back and tells me what Mr Mohammed said today.. wahahahahhaa:)

I asked him the other day why he couldnt remember most of what he learnt last year.. was it that he likes this teacher better? He said he also likes his last year arabic teacher and actually miss her too.. but he says, "Last year I was new to arabic and i did not know I can speak the language.. so I usually never pay attention in class. This year, I discovered that I actually can speak the language and so I pay attention during class.."

He seems to be making improvement in his music too. He told me that Mr Malanger, his music teacher, told him that "You are not the Ace who first came to Horizon school..." Because when Ace first started school, he couldnt seem to catch tone.. OR rhythm... and now, he can do both.. and his teacher say he has a good sense of rhythm and will make a good rapper:) wahahaha....

I wish they would give out the jotterbooks and workbooks more often so that I know what he is doing in class:) Anyway, I am mighty pleased with the improvement he made.. it is as if suddenly something clicked in his mind and even at home when doing homework I assign him, I noticed he is improving in the area of math and chinese too:) well done, Ace.. good job!:)

PS: Ace has been working hard on earning housepoints as well... this week, he has earned for himself 10 housepoints... 2 for making 3D effect on his poster, 2 for being kind, 3 for doing well in arabic, 3 for memorizing the poem;) His reward was eating at his fav restaurant and that he gets to play with this toy we bought him some time back... and then leh, his dad asked.. "If you don't get the reward, are you still going to work hard and try to earn house points?"

"Of course lah..."He said.. "Have to try hard no matter what mah..." And to think that in the morning, he was just lamenting that it seems impossible for him to earn 10 housepoints ( a goal we set for him) in a week.. but he did all the last 4 points in the last day of the week.. anyway, very proud of him lah:) well done, Ace!:)

Previous Post: School Cock Up

No comments: