Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The Fire Drill...


Last year, when I visited Max in Dubai, were were staying in a different apartment. In my 5 weeks there, I have only encountered the fire drill once and it happened in the middle of the day when me and Ace were just hanging out in the living area....

The drill was quite serious one lor.. got security guard come up to our apartment and knock the doors one by one shouting.. "Firedrill, fire drill... please gather downstairs..."

But leh, I was really wearing my at home nua lok kok clothes and so i decided to continue to stay in the apartment.. wahahahaha.. pretend we were all not at home.. hahahha... so it was sort of an non event...

Now, we are actually staying in a NEW apartment.. one tat is newly built according to Max... and I dunno if it is because we have overzealous security guards or that they just like to press the firealarm bell for fun because in my 7 weeks in dubai, I have already gone through like 4 fire drills!

The first one happened in the middle of the night at around 12 mid night lor.. Ace was zzzing, max was out drinking with his kakis and I was suddenly shocked right awake.. cos I was just almost drifting into dreamland when the bloody alarm rang.. and it is this really shrill sharp beeping that actually hurts your ears...

The best part is, my good son slept through it all.. never moved a muscle throughout.. Just to be safe, I went out, opened my door and waited to see if there is smoke or anyone giving any news... to my surprise, all my neighbours were doing the same thing as well... and so, this is the very first time that I see all my neighbours living in the same storey... there are 7 families here and really, other than the girl who goes to Ace's school.. I havent really met any of the other families...

I now know tat directly opposite me is an elderly indian couple (no wonder always got curry smell)... on my left side is indian family with two children.. one of them is baby and the mummy is a tall slim, pretty lady.. opposite the indian family would be the girl who goes to Horizon School as well and their family.... and then furthur down the hall are two more pinoy families.. one with kids, one without kids... and right at the end is another indian family... so we are sticking out like sore thumbs.. being the only chinese in this whole building:) (the maid of the family who goes to same school as Ace actually told me that she thought we were PRC... gee, most of the time pple think we are pinoys or japanese..:))



Anyway, the tall slim lady on our right called the guards and found out it was a false alarm.. the elderly couple got so upset they went downstairs to scold the guards.. but seems like their scolding is not effective lah..

The very next day.. the alarm rang again... this time it rang at around 6pm.. and i was having a nap together with Ace since it was weekend and i was all tired from my late nights... initially when I heard it, I was thinking why is my alarm ringing and I just ignore it and continue to sleep.. (that is how tired I was...) and then the shrill ringing really got to my ears and I finally woke up when it rang again for the second time...

I opened the door and there my neighbours were again..

Anyway, somehow whenever it rings, Ace is sleeping.. it rang again one day over the weekend while Ace is taking a nap.. and as usual, my son is still sleeping.. i still open my door to check what is happening but so far, I think that is the most anyone will do.. i think they fire alarm so often tat one day if really fire hor.. we all sure burnt to death...cos it is like story of boy who cried wolf...

Today, the alarm rang again in the afternoon and Ace exclaimed to me, "What is that, mummy.. so loud ah.." I laughed out loud and told him it is a fire alarm.. i reminded him that even though it is loud, he slept through it 3 times! hahahahahaa....

Anyway, based on my observation, there is this pipe at the ceiling of the carpark at level 1... and the pipe is always leaking.. the whole ceiling around the area already showing signs of leaking water on the ceiling, there is a whitish thing coming out of the pipe like a staglamite... and there is a permanent small pool of water where the pipe is dripping water... I wun be surprised if one day the pipe burst or the ceiling give way.. that is likely more cause for concern than a fire.. hahahaha... So much so for a NEW building....

Previous Post: Go The Fuck To Sleep

No comments: