Wednesday, November 02, 2011

My Little Arabic Teacher


In Dubai, all schools are required to teach Arabic as an extra subject.

One of my worries about Ace is that he might not be able to catch up on his Arabic since this is his first year in school. What made me worry even more is that he would come home and exclaim excitedly that there is arabic lesson today... but when you asked him what it meant, he wouldnt really be able to answer you..

My own understanding of the arabic language is merely limited to 4 phrases "asamalekom" (good day) and "inshallah" (if got permits) and "shukran" (thank you).. and "halas" (finish) and so, I was not much help either;) Max, having worked here for a year and a half is also half a pail of water lor:)

There were weeks where Ace came back with some sounds like "La too ti... ta too ti" but ask him what he means and he shakes his head... wahahahaha:)

But well, since it is not like a subject requirement in Singapore and that he seems to enjoy his lessons quite well.. i left it at that lor..

About a month later though, he came back from school one day and told me that he knows how to say Mother and Father in Arabic.... According to Ace, the word Mother is "Omi" and the word Father is "Abi'...

So if you say my mother, you say "Ma Umi", and my father would be "Ma Abi"

And then about a week later, he told me that he found out that arabic words actually go from right to left instead of left to right.. gee, that is something I never noticed despite seeing countless signs and subtitles on TV in arabic...

And then yesterday, my son came home and told me he knows how to write the word for DOOR in arabic.. cool huh:) He can even sing Happy Birthday in ARABIC.. steady boh??:P

Here's a video of him singing the birthday song in arabic:


So we have given him the post of Arabic teacher in our house.. wahahaha;)

PS: ANyway, in case you are interested in the arabic alphabet song that Ace was singing at the start.. here is a youtube video of it... Ace cannot remember the whole song.. just the first four letters.. hahaha:)


Previous Post: The Fire Drill...

No comments: