Monday, November 28, 2011

Singapore Deli

Since Max went to Dubai to work, I have been doing my research.. and I found out that there is this cafe in Dubai called Singapore Deli. But so far, since my last visit last year till now, I havent had a chance to visit it.. reason being that Max said that the food is both expensive and not nice.. even though.. we actually stay like a 5 minute drive away from it and it is right beside the veg stall we frequent often for our weekly grocery shopping....

Anyway, my malaysian and singaporean friends have been telling me that the lontong there is very good.. so max and I decided to go and give it a try....

Wah.. NASI LEMAK!!!!

Char kway tiao!!!!!

And the one we have been eyeing on---- Lontong!

Ace was initialy upset tat we were eating here (cos you know how atas he is.. everyday he also wants to eat Sino Chai one..) and so when he was told there is Milo Dinosaur, he dam happy lor:)


I looked around and behind us, there was this wall filled with photos... as part of the decor for the cafe.. what i cannot understand though is this--- if this is Singapore Deli, why are the photos showing pics of pple holding a Malaysian flag?????

Als0, I noticed that the cafe is playing some MTV... malay songs I presume from seemingly a malaysian or indonesian channel... harlow..... are singaporeans only made up of malays? Hai..... But I guess there aint many Chinese Singaporeans here in dubai and they are really not here often enough for them to play Jolin Tsai or Jay Chou's MTV.. But I think it might be nice if they played like stefanie sun.. or Olivia.. hahahah:)

Anyway, I guess most people here feel the way I do here... In Singapore.. Malaysians are our (most of the time) friendly neighbours... but here in Dubai.. Malaysians are people from the same hometown as us.. maybe we just belong to a different state.. you know.. like during those times before Singapore regained independence?:P wahahaha... I heart my malaysian friends here.. they are mostly jovial, funny and super friendly and warm... (I love the Singaporeans as well as they are also a very jovial bunch...)

Here's Ace acting like a dinosaur because he is drinking Milo Dinosaur.. wahahaha:)


My sedap Lontong!

Ace's char kway tiao!

Max's Tauhu Goreng:)

It was a very filling meal.. I think once in a blue moon when we need our local food fix, we can come again or..cos after all, it is quite pricey.. But the lontong is not bad lah:) But still not as nice as Singapore one.. wahahahahahah:)

PS:
On a side note... another failure at my attempt to make carrot cake.. I discovered finally that I kenna conned! The chinese supermart tat I bought my flour from put the flour in a ziplop bag with a white tag and a english word "rice" written on top with pen.. there were no chinese words as well.. so I assumed it to be rice flour..

But because I failed twice and cannot possibly be failing again with another good recipe.. something my fren commented on FB struck me. You see, when i made my first attempt of chai tou kway, it was soft and sticky and I made it into muah chee and one of my frens who cooks often asked me, "Isn't muah chee made with glutinous rice flour?"

Since my second try also gave me a gluey kway, my conclusion is that what I bought is not rice flour but glutinous rice flour! Dam! Heng my son loves to eat muah chee... so he finished up the second batch for me as well...

I looked at the flour and think it looks like the type of flour we use to make dumpling.. so all the more suspect is glutinous rice....

Went back to chinese supermart last week and tried to find rice flour and noticed that both chinese supermarts i go to only sell glutinous rice flour! All the more confirmed is the wrong flour... TMD!
So where it the world do I get rice flour leh? I searched for long time and found a "rice powder" in carrefour. I hope it means RICE FLOUR.. normal rice... anyway, I just buy to try lah... I havent tried to make kway with it yet but I certainly hope I will succeed the next time I try:)

If that doesnt still work, nim peh is going to grind my rice into flour with my U-like Blender lor!

But that would be a while.. cos anyway, Max went to SGP for work and so i asked him to buy from NTUC the kway tat is already made one.. wahhaha:) woohoo.. cai tao kway, here we come!


PPS: My chai tow kyay has arrived from Singapore.. woohoo!!!
|

PPPS: I was inspired though by the Singapore Deli Nasi Lemak picture to try to make my own nasi lemak chilli! Tastes good!!!

Previous Post: Night Walk By The Creek

No comments: