Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To The Souks We Go

"To market, to market, to buy a fat pig.. home again, home again jiggalijig..."

Okie, sorry. Here in dubai, you dun exactly find PIGS in market as they are a muslim nation. But they do have alot of different types of markets tat they call SOUK. So we went visiting their famous Spice Souk and Gold Souk that day near the Bur Dubai area along the Creek...



And so.. here we are back at the creek.. where many of my fondest memories from my last trip to Dubai are... our favourite river taxi:)

I still remembered the cool breeze on my face as we throttled across the river in this open air river taxi boat...

The arched walkways...

And this orange juice stall where we had a little rest with snacks. Wow.. they are still there and their business is still as good!:)


The two boys trying to be funny...

We are now on the boat... the trip was off to a good start...


Our fellow passengers and "driver"... some of them hor.. dam tak gong.. stand on top of the place we sit on and steer with their feet lor!

Beautiful cloudy day.. but i was so worried tat it will rain or wat... but Max say.. dun worry.. chances of tat happening is VERY LOW...

So this is how the creek looks like in the day.. the last time we came, we always rode the boat in the night...

The turning point of the trip came when Ace saw the white RTA boat... which is air conditioned! Remember my son is ah sia right? So given a choice, he choose to take taxi rather than walk.. choose air con rather than hot.... (even though the weather was breezy and nice)



So at this point, my started his "I want to take RTA boat.." mantra.. he repeated and repeated again and again and we told him it is much more expensive.. he still wanted to take... and then I told him you need tickets for tat... and we dun have tickets.. and he say, "Go and buy at the service station lah.." (wah, i din expect that he knows I can do tat.. wahahaa) and so I said "No, got to buy tickets at Metreo station one.. here got no metreo station... and then Ace became SULKY Ace from this point onwards...




Anyway, we found out we took the wrong boat that brought us to another part so we had to walk back towards the spice souk... and then i realized tat these boats are more so commercial boats... they had all sorts of goods on top.. tv, tyres.. blah blah blah... and they are so traditional lor.. they still using wooden ladders like these to get on and off the boats!

Ace pretending to go up the ladder...



Spice souk, here we come!



I wonder what these are for.. the salesman said the yellow is for skin allergies, blue one is for dunno wat... I think is to burn like incense oil or wat like tat.. anyway, it was interesting tat pple tried to speak chinese to us when we walked around with camera.. usually our family gets pple speaking japanese to us:) wahahaha...

And got flower tea here too.. so now i know where to get when my tea supply runs out.. But i doubt it will.. I brought some.. my good fren bought me some and Max brought home two big boxes of tea that day too lor! Will be awhile before i can go and get my rose buds tea from the souk...

One of the guys tore up a piece of cinnamon to let us smell.. smell so nice.. for me such a happy memory but Ace is still bz sulking and Daddy Max is annoyed..

After that, we walked to the gold souk...

GOLD GOLD GOLD EVERYWHERE!

Have you ever seen a dress made with pure gold?

I pretend I also modeling.. but not very good lah.. since I am so much bigger:) wahahaha.. Mental note to self.. dun take pic beside skinny people or skinny mannequinnes anymore...

The biggest GOLD ring in the world....

But they have the thinnest stray cats...

So we took the normal dhow boat back and Ace is still sulking cos he din get to take his white RTA aircon boat....
Almost happy family... wahahahah...


Max try to make Ace happy by ordereing coconut juice for him...


This boy drink liao but STILL unhappy!

Finally happy when we asked him to pose on the staricase.. hai...


Bye bye old town.. till we visit again.. when some of our other frens come in December.. wahahaha:)

PS: Just a side note... Last time when I was doing MLM, my leader said MLM is 现世报 (where u get your retribution in your present life since whatever you do to your team comes back to you). I think parenting is the same... I told Ace since he keeps dropping crumbs, I will take 1AED from him everytime I have to pick up crumbs after him. Later in the night, while helping to pick up my hair, he said since I am always dropping hair, he will also collect 1AED whenever he has to pick up my hair for me... GRRRR.

Previous Post: Carebear Picnic

No comments: