Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tudor Banquet

Like a month or two back, I received a note from Ace's teacher that there is going to be a TUDOR BANQUET in school..

I asked Ace what was that about and he told me that they are learning about the Tudors.. I still did not know what tat was.. so I googled it lah... turned out to be a piece of ENGLISH HISTORY... you know those knights and the ladies and gentlemen with their fancy costumes.. that is TUDOR lah..

Anyway, for the banquet, the child is supposed to dress up as a TUDOR character and the mum is suppose to contribute a tudor dish!

Ace told me that he did not like the fancy costumes that the rich people wore, and so he would choose to be middle class instead.. and because he saw a book with a picture of a Tudor Executioner (who is middle class) and because it looked like a simple black outfit, he says that is what he wants to wear...

I went online and did alot of research but I found that unless I know how to sew, it was quite impossible to create a tudor outfit on my own with the type of clothes that Ace has.. so in the end, we decided to save the trouble and just BUY an outfit lah..

It took us quite a few days and hopping around to a few places to find an outfit that he liked.. and lucky for us too that the one he liked is the CHEAPEST that we came across!:) wahahaha


Ace chose this outfit of a knight and decided to make his own sword out of cardboard and sticky tape...

We did a trial run for his outfit the night before...

And discovered that the sword was too soft! wahahahah.. So I had to work on adding more layers to make it stronger. But other than tat, he actually made the sword himself based on what he remembered from seeing what his dad did the other time to make him a sword for him to play with.


I was given a note to make believable tudor dishes.. so cannot use certain ingredients.. and after searching around, I found that there is  a dish called POTTAGE.. which is like porridge.. only, it is done with oats and as there is no hard and fast rule to how to make the base veg broth, I decided I will do this instead!

And as I was afraid Ace will have nothing to eat, I made it vegeterian so that he will have something to eat lah ;)  Actually hor, I play cheat leh.. I NEVER FOLLOW any receipe online... I really just did our usual chinese ABC soup... and added some veggies and oats! wahahahahaha... I think most impt is taste good mah.. right?

In the end though, the pottage i made for him were layed out somewhere he couldnt see.. so he ate desserts lor...

That is Ace posing early morning before he left for School.. YES.. he is supposed to dress like tat to school...  As Ace did not have long socks (he takes too long to roll his socks so i bought him those tat doesnt require rolling or folding)... he used Max's NAVY socks:) wahahaha

Hamdsome or not?

Apparently, the banquet is a BIG thing.. cos our neighbour, J, actually had a tailor make a dress for her.. she said this is a poor girl's dress...

Ace came home with an orrange that had some spices stuck in it.. according to him.. that is how the Tudors got rid of bad smells.. Daddy says maybe can hang in TOILET THEN.. wahahahahaha:)

I think this is such an interesting way to learn history.. how I wish in the SG cirricullum, also got 雾锁南洋day... and then everyone can wear samfoo and those striped shorts and white singlet to school... and then there can be pasar malam.. they can eat kok kok noodles.. ice lollies etc... Dam fun right!?:P

Previous Post: Father's Day

No comments: