Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wanna Dance?














I found myself dancing at 2am in the morning the other day... the reason? My son's dance recital performance...

You see, because we THOUGHT that Ace is an avid dancer, we signed him up for some dance classes.. only to discover that all he really likes is free dance.. he is not really that into dancing.. when he does go to dance school, his prime motive is to make friends and play.. than to learn how to dance properly.. consequently, after many lessons, he just cannot remember more than ONE STEP even though he has been learning the simple 6x8 dance steps.

He missed the last dance class cos I was in Penang and so, he had not much of a chance to practice all the steps. So when he reached the rehearsal, he was totally lost and clueless... If you look at the photos, you will realize he is always looking at others and also always one step behind...

So I asked him after that if he wanted to practice later again at home. He said he wanted to practice with me but as I had a flu, I fell asleep at 9pm the moment I reached home. I woke up at 2am, remembering the promise I made to Ace and since I couldnt sleep again, I decided to learn the dance from the videos I took and so at 2am in the early morning, Max, who was watching a movie in the living room heard an elephant prancing around in our bedroom.

I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about this dance. I got so worried I went to pick a card about how his dance would turn out and picked a BEAUTY card and was assured that he would dance beautifully..

When I woke up the next day, I was so excited that I had already mastered the steps and asked Ace if he wanted to practice. Initially I tried to make him go through step by step and try to memorize the steps. But I found that he kept losing focus and thinking about his toys, about whether the fan is on, about what he wanted to wear.. and so, after an hour, I decided that the best course of action was just to dance the dance together with him a few times and call it quits. On the way there, I just told him that there are two very important things to remember when he goes up there and perform today: 1) Enjoy yourself and be happy, 2) SMILE.

Well, my 'hard work' paid off. He did dance a little better on the actual performance.

BUT LEH, he still forget his steps, he still was one step behind, he was still lost, he even fell.. BUT YET, Ace received the most performance and most cheering even though me and his Daddy were his only supporters there cos he followed my two golden rules.

You see, when Ace fell, he just picked himself up and like nothing happened and went back dancing.. for that everyone cheered to encourage him.... And then he got lost and when everyone finished dancing, he was still there trying to dance and people laughed...

And at the last part when he was supposed to posed, he got lost, did not know where to stand, suddenly realized it, went into position and did a really cute pose and then, he received a very loud cheer and alot of people luff... Somehow Ace always gets alot of people luffing whenever he is on stage... he indeed has a gift of humour...

My mum says it is a flawed success but I beg to differ.. I told Ace that he did very great and he had so many people cheering for him because he was so brave (picking himself up and continued dancing) and he did so well because he remembered to enjoy himself and to smile so we went to eat sushi to celebrate his graudation from dancing class.. next, we will let him try out art class:)

Here's the video of his dance.. (Ace stands in the far left corner in the second row)





PS: You can't see in the video but during the parts where the other group was dancing, he was actually grooving at the back behind the curtains.. hahaha...

PPS: When I showed him a video of his rehearsal and told him that it is because he cannot remember his steps that his steps are different from others and he said, "Not only me mah.. my friends all forget also.. see, this one also forget, this one alsoforget.."

Previous Post: Curious Tots!

No comments: