Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Big Lizard Scare


The other day, Ace had one of the biggest scares of his life...

You see, it was his birthday on Friday (25th June) and about a week before, I had already bought him his present. When I brought him home, I told him he had to close his eyes when I came into the house till I hide it and then he can open his house because he asked for a surprise...

And he very obeiently closed his eyes while I put his present inside the storeroom...

So for a few days, he did not really think about it...

Come monday he was suppose to have his first round of celebrations at Yeye's house.. so he asked me since he was going to celebrate on monday, could he have his present on monday.. seeing that he is so keen to get his present.. I said OK.. provided that he eats his dinner QUICKLY by himself and completes 5 pages worth of homework...

So he ate his dinner... and while doing his homework, he was really slow and kept losing attention to look at other things... and I told him since he is so free and has so much time, he will have to do 10 pages now.. and to make sure he finished on time, I gave him a timeline that he has to finish by 9.30pm... (also cos I was intending to go over to Yeye's house at 10pm and figured he will want to play with his new toy for a while...)

But at around 9.20pm.. he started losing patience and ran away from the table... I wondered where he was and suddenly, he exclaimed from somewhere, "Mummy! Mummy! There is a lizard!!!"

"Where?" I asked him... and when I looked around, I realized the storeroom door is open and the lights are on.. so I figured he is there.. "Where?"I asked him again, still seated in a corner of the living room...

"There is lizard here..." and the he came to me and showed me his feet..."There is here.." And then he himself looked at his own leg and saw a squashed lizard body.. and it was light brown and also some sort reddish colour as well.. and he started to scream... "Ahhhhh... " and he kept screaming and screaming.. I was in shock for 2 seconds and then woke up, ran to the tissue box to get tissue, passed to my mother who was beside him and she wiped it off for him.. and then I carried him and washed his leg in the toilet and throughout it all, he was still screaming and crying...

And after that, I hugged him very tight and told him that it is ok and that I am beside him and will protect him...

I have never seen Ace so hysterical in my life..

And for the next half an hour, he refused to touch the floor.. even when he is doing homework, he wants to sit on my lap and if he wantes to go anywhere, he wants us to carry him there...

"Still got lizard.. still got..." he said and he pointed to the storeroom.. so my mum went in, saw a tail and picked it up with a tissue and threw it away...

I told him that the lizard is gone because Popo threw it away and he insisted that he saw the lizard running into the kitchen...

Anyway, he finally calmed down somewhat and I wanted to help him get over it and conquer his fear and so when he finished his homework. so i told him we will go together to the storeroom.. I will protect him.. and we will get the present together...after some persuasion, he agreed.. He was wary and walking slowly and kept wanting to run away...

Thankfully, once he got his present, he forgot about his fears and started focusing on happy things like playing with his present.

Later before we slept, I asked him what really happened and found out that he had wanted to peep at his present.. but then he saw the lizard and accidentally stepped on it... and the tail broke off and so he saw the tail wriggling.. and he showed me his leg cos he felt a pain on his toes because "I stepped on the bones and the bones are hard.." and I think he lost it when he saw the squashed lizard on his leg...

When I told Max about it, he said he had goosebumps just reading about this cos he has a fear for lizards... My grandma reminded Ace that he is a brave boy and he shouldnt be afraid of lizards..

I am happy to say he walks past the storeroom normally now BUT still does not like lizards... :P

Previous Post: Fathers' Day

No comments: