Monday, December 10, 2012

Simisai


All thanks to Mr Brown, my son picked up a new Singlish phrase... SIMISAI.

Even though we do not live in Singapore now, I still keep myself well abreast of the hot issues in Singapore via Facebook:) The other day, came across a link to a video where Mr Brown taught people how to say the chinese names and the meaning of the chinese names of various MRT stations. It had me up in stitches!



So I showed it to Ace.

He laughed and for the next few days kept asking me, "Mummy, Mr Brown so funny hor.. (mimicing Mr Brown) Brash Basah, Bra Market... hahaahaahaha..." (He doesnt know how to say bra market in chinese since the chinese word for bra is not frequently used in our conversation.) And he would keep asking me the same thing over and over again.. 2-3 times a day.. everyday, for the next one week.

So I thought that was the ONLY piece of info he retained from that video...

That is, until yesterday.. when he called his grandfather and was speaking to him in a mish mash of chinese and hokkien (I am so glad he sounds more confident in mandarin now after months of hard work to teach him chinese by myself here in Dubai).

And all of a sudden, he said, "Huh.. What did you say? Li gong si mi?... (pause) simisai?"

And both me and Max shot him a look. After he hung up, I asked him where he learnt that phrase from.. "Mr Brown lor...." he said. Amazing though that he figured out what 'simisai' meant... I told him though that it is rude to say that to his grandfather and he should not use it when he speaks with other people.

I must be careful when I try to speak hokkien to Max... we use it as our secret language when we want to say things in front of Ace we dun want Ace to know or hear because we thought his fluency in the language is only limited to "jiak bah buay" and "gong si mi"... Apparently NOT...

Previous Post: Santa Presents Ace With Poppy 


No comments: