Monday, January 21, 2013

It Is The Thought That Counts

Ace has been invited to a few birthday parties lately and he always says he wants to go. Last year, I usually don't allow him to go because I am not familiar with Dubai yet but this year, I got to know the parents better and got to know Dubai better... and so, let him go lor...

The thing about birthday parties that is tricky is that we have to buy a present. I don't know what is the market rate like but seem to find that most parents are spending alot on their parties. Some do parties in the bowling centres and the kids are given free flow play in the arcade.. so that cannot be cheap...

Some like to do movie birthday parties.. the kids gather and they all go watch a movie together complete with popcorn and drinks...  that is not too cheap either... so I realized that my usual budget of $15-20 sing dollars seems to not be really "good enough"...

Because I have always told Ace that we should not judge a present by it's value, I have often instilled to him that "it is the thought that counts" whenever he receives presents...

So when we had to go and buy T's present and he chose something worth only 30 dirhams, I told him it is too cheap.

"But mummy, why need to choose expensive present? I thought you said it is the thought that counts?" Ace asked me.

I had to really do alot of thinking in order to reply him in what I feel is the correct way. In the end, I decided to explain to him in this way.

"You see, when you go to the party, you know you are going to enjoy something right? so whatever people give us, we try to give them as well and also give them a little more than what they give us. Then they feel good and as people always feel like balancing things out, they will also give us more.. and so we can increase the love and good feelings we have for each other. At the same time, friendship and love cannot be measured by money because kind and loving thoughts and intent matter too."

Maybe I should tell him about the buddhist story I learnt as a child about The Poor Woman's Lamp ... or so the story goes that there is a devoted woman who was very very poor. She wanted to burn an oil as a sign of her devotion to the buddha but she had no money and so, she cut off all her hair and sold it and with what little money she got for it, she bought some oil and lit it up... all through the night, the oil lamp burnt brightly even when the other lamps have already been put out by the wind...  So why was her lamp burning so brightly and for so long? Because her intent was pure and sincere lah... the money she used to donate for the oil, even though was a small amount was actually everything that she had.. and so, it was small in monetary value but big in the sense of love and contribution..

Anyway, it was good tat Ace had to go to the party.. because that meant me and Max got to go part tor for two hours or so:)

Here are photos of our little date...



Ended up here...
What shall we order???


Lentil soup...

brinjal humus and taboule...

Lagsane... turned out that the food was so so only.. not very good.. just very ex.. wun go there again...


My darling 回眸一笑.. hahahhaa

Decided to head to the shakespeare cafe for some tea...

So nice hor..

Wah.. even the tea name like so chim like tat...

Lovely cake.. tasted like an oversized ferra roche!:)

This one is like a strudle...

But leh, I think too sweet for me.. so I dun think i will come back again also.. wahahahah:)

Told Max I was disappointed with the food but still i enjoyed the good date we had..

Then Max's friend asked him to help buy some LOTR goblets that are interestingly sold in Dubai but not in SIngapore... so we went to the shop.. and it was like LOTR and HP galore lor!

Check out the diffferent wands...

Golum....


LOTR Elfen ring...

Pens from the different houses in HP...




Gyfyndor!



The broom that Harry uses to play Quidditch:)

All in all, quite an interesting day:)

Previous post:  Puppy Eyes

No comments: