Monday, October 14, 2013

This Is Called Talking About Life



Max agrees with me...

Our son.. buay kan buay dua han... always need to scold scold scold.. then he will wake up his idea.

Today is one such incident where I had to nag nag nag, scold scold scold like Tripitaka again...

Ace is having his week long mid terms and I gave him a list of tasks to complete during this holiday. One of which is a list of homework that he has to complete.

Yesterday, when I was feeling super unwell,, he had to complete half a chapter of math homework. As I was unwell, I did not really make sure that he completed it and I also cut some slack since it is holiday time.

Today, his dad says he will bring him out to play ball in the evening. I told him he has to complete the homework before he can go. Left with only 60 minutes to complete 4 pages of homework, our good friend still walking here and there and playing with this and that... so I reminded him that I am serious about not letting him go play IF he cannot finish his work...

And then he walk here and there and sing song.. and while I was ironing clothes, he walked up to me finally after wasting time walking around and doing dunno what for  30 minutes to tell me that he did not know how to do the sum...

I told him since he liked to waste time. I will help him waste more time by finishing my ironing before teaching him his homework. And then he started to throw a tantrum and said that he hates his life. Everyone get to enjoy holiday and only he, Ace Chua, has to stay at home to study and do homework.

And then I told him to please recall why we are in this position:
  1. Someone everyday when suppose to complete daily homework, waste time, watch tv.. dilly dally.. so cannot complete. It is already OCT and people in SIngapore would have completed almost all the pri 2 work because they are going to have exams soon. Someone has yet to complete 2A of this chinese textbook and less than half of the math assessment book.
  2. Someone had a 2 month holiday to play catch up but instead, he wasted his time away watch youtube on the ipad and playing.. when we asked him to do homework, he will say, "I am having a holiday leh..."
I then added that if say his dad gets and offer to go back to Singapore, Ace will have to study in Singapore. If he cannot catch up on the pri 2 homework.. guess what, instead of doing primary 3 like a 8-9 year old will, he will have to REPEAT PRI 2. "You decide you want to catch up or repeat.." I told him.

At this point, he go and hide under the table to cry...

I asked him why is he crying. I am just telling him the fact of life. He still has a chance to make a different choice and I am highlighting to him now because I dont want him to run towards the wall.. and then one second before hit then see the wall.. and then too late, already kenna injury.. I tell him now.. "oi, there is a wall in front in this direction lah!" And then because he knows, he can still make a different decision now, do something different and get a different result. If he keeps doing the same thing, he will always always get the same results..

 "I hate my life..." he continued.

Then I told him he has no right to say he hates his life because he already has a very good life...
  1. Your parents are healthy and love you very much
  2. Your mum doesnt need to work and can spend so much time to take care of you and be with you
  3. Whatever toy you want, even though after we buy for you, you always either forget about it or never take care... if it is within reason and we feel is good for you, we also buy for you...
  4. You have so many godmas who adore you and buy so many presents for you everytime you go back Singapore
  5. You have yeye nai nai, waigong waipo and ah yee and shu shu who all love you very much
  6. Does he think children in africa has so many toys
  7. Does he even think they have a chance to go to school and learn like he does???
All this while, my good husband just keep quiet and watch youtube videos inside the bedroom...

I went back to continue to iron my clothes and then my son dunno think think think.. go and take out a notebook and scribble...

I asked him what is he scribbling.. he says he is going to write a story called 1000 Reasons Why I Hate My Life...

I told him he can do it after he finish his homework. I reminded him that I have told him many times... after he finishes his homework, he can always do whatever he wants.. he can write his story, go play with his friends.. I don't care.. within reason, I let him do whatever he wants...

"I said you cannot go with daddy if you don't finish.. not because I like to threaten you or make life difficult for you. All I want is to motivate you furthur to finish your work on time.. but you don't care at all.. do you understand my heart and why  I am doing all these or not. I actually rather you go play ball with Daddy and then I can relax and do whatever I want at home.. you think I want to keep you home??" I asked Ace...

And then I reminded him that if he needs help, he just needs to say.. I don't like it that he always never even attempt at the math problem and say "I don't know..." and then use this as an excuse to walk around... I asked him to recall.. when he is focused and tries hard.. "When have I ever left you alone and not helped you when you asked for it?"

Somehow, that seemed to wake his idea up.. after I went back to ironing.. he started to do his work properly...

I told Max.. "wah lau, li eh kiah.. boh gan buay tua han one... and Max just laughed..

I asked Ace later when he has completed most of his work.. why he needs scolding before he can wake up his idea... To which my GOOD SON replied..

"That is not called scolding... that is called TALKING ABOUT LIFE..."

DUH...

Previous Post: Packing The House!

No comments: