Friday, August 27, 2010

Courage




The other day, after Ace's swimming lesson, I had a talk with his teacher... apparently, Mr Loke, Ace's swimming teacher is trying to get Ace to jump into the deep pool and swim... but Ace is afraid to even try and I think he is the only one in his class who has not mastered that yet..

So I asked him why he was not willing to jump into the pool..

"But I am so scared, mummy... the pool is so deep.. I will fall..."

So I explained to him that it is something he has to learn and I took the opportunity to talk to him about the importance of courage.

I told him this is a good chance for him to learn to take out his courage. Because if he wants to become a policeman when he grows up, he will need courage to become a successful policeman.

To which Ace replied, "Then I become a business man and do business lor.. I don't become policeman..."

And then I explained to him that courage is needed even in business. "If you want to become a successful businessman like Uncle Arthur, you will also need courage to make good decisions... so leh, you need courage to do things you don't dare to do to become a successful policeman or a successful businessman..."

So he promised to try to practice on taking out his courage to do things he don't dare to do at his next swimming lesson.. and if he does well and can show off to daddy, "Daddy might buy you more toys and presents, right?"

Unfortunately, this sunday, I might not be able to bring him swimming because I have something on... I will remind him again nearer to the weekend..

PS: Welcome back, daddy!

PPS: Ace was down with food poisoning and so eventually did not go swimming to practice finding his courage.

Previous Post: Stickers

No comments: