Sunday, August 08, 2010

The Wolf Inside


One night, I was having our usual late night conversation with Ace and I was suddenly inspired to share this story I heard from POV Master Trainer, Jeff Allen.

A Cherokee Legend (that is a Native American tribe)

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Initially, Ace found it difficult to understand this story and asked me how is it possible for us to have a wolf in our body because the wolf is so big. I explained to him that this is a figurative story... it doesn't mean there really is a wolf inside us. It just is like how I explained to him.. the power of choice...

If we choose to do good things.. we feed the good wolf.... if we choose to do bad things, we will feed the bad wolf... if we feed the good wolf more, the good wolf will win the fight and we will be a happy, good person...

And I think he understood it..

The next day, when my grandma poured a cup of water for him, he said, "Xie xie zhen popo" and I told him he is a very good boy and a very polite boy.. and so he told me, "Mummy, I am feeding the good wolf now because I want the good wolf to win.."

Hahahahahahahaha.. children are just so cute!

Previous Post: My Friends Say They Cannot Be My Friends If I Am Good Boy

No comments: