Saturday, January 11, 2014

Oman Trip 3: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque

 The night before during dinner, we were planning where to go.. it was suggested that we aim to go two places in the morning.. the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque and also the Opera House... both places close by noon so we have to rush rush rush.. so we agreed to meet early for breakfast...



 Ace still half awake and making his own breakfast...

 This is the mosque on the outside... while we were driving in..

Apparently, the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is a gift from the King, the Sultan Qaboos to the people of Oman.. It is made up mostly of marble and also wood... and it is very very very nice lor!


Due to some confusion, we did not get a guided tour in the end.. so we just tour around ourselves lor...

 The moment you step into the gates, you will see a big, beautiful garden.. and that day, the sky was really pretty.. with strips of clouds...

 See how pretty the clouds are? Almost look like rays of light coming out of the pagoda in the mosque... Me thinks this is a sign that the great Sultan Qaboos must be a very great man.. and one who is very holy too :)

While we were inside, Ace said he wanted to take pictures.. so I passed him my camera while I used my  phone camera. It was then that I discovered that Ace has a good eye for pictures. Even though his hands are shaky... and he doesnt know how to use the camera.. he really captured many interesting shots and many interesting angles... he sort of sees what I don't see and it almost makes me feel like the pictures give me another inlet to understand my son :)

Read on.. and see if you can tell which pictures are taken by Ace:) hahahaha...

 This is taken by Ace:)

 Also by Ace.. but he cannot wait for his dad to leave.. wahahahah.. so he took picture with his dad in the frame...


 Ace also took this photo.. I love it!:) hahaha...  I asked Ace later how he decides what to take and he says that he just takes whatever he thinks is beautiful.. he tells me that there are so many nice patterns in this place and it is so beautiful.. and so he just tries to capture the beauty that he sees... especially the patterns...

 Ace taking picture of me and F walking up the steps into the prayer hall..


 Saw a man sweeping the floor with what looked like leaves from a date tree.... in china, people use liu shu (willow tree) leaves to sweep the floor... I wonder though, what plant people in SIngapore can use to make brooms that is representative of our country.. hahahaha

 I try not to edit Ace's photos of change the ratio when I resize them... so that you can also see what Ace sees;) The above is taken by Ace.. nice hor:)

 Ace is fascinated with the arches and door..

 He even noticed that there were patterns on the ceiling.. I din realize that till I was resizing the pics!

 I was quite fascinated with these lamps.. I think I should get one or two for my new place in future:) Must make a trip back to DUbai during Global Village season to buy them.. wahahahahaha....

 Me with my scarf around my head.. the scarf kept wanting to drop off... I am so glad it is a cold day.. dunno how if is warm day... how to keep myself wrapped up all the time:)

 Max is especially fascinated with the strips of clouds:)



 This is the door to the women's prayer room...

There is a little story here... right beside here, there is a shoe rack area for you to put your shoes.. and beside that area, there is a little sign that says that children below 10 are not allowed in. I told Ace just go in lah.. the woman cannot tell that he is not 10 anyway since he is tall. cos I think the reason for this ruling is to prevent noisy children or children who may not know to take care of these beautiful surroundings..


Ace say cannot.. he rather stay outside.. then our friends ask him.. "Why you dun go in.." "I cannot!" Ace said loudly... "I am not even 10 yet!" he said... and one of the guides at the door heard him.. and maybe it was because he was honest.. or maybe because he looked like a good boy... or maybe, they are just easy, relaxed and friendly people... she motioned him to come in.. and so Ace got to come in too!:) He was soooooo excited! hahahaha.. Moral of the story.. tell the truth.. you will always be rewarded..hhahahaha


 Check out the carvings...

 Ace taking a selfie.. but ending up looking like he is wearing a crown or has a fire mushroom growing out of his head:)

 Many of the close up of details are taken by Ace as he is fascinated with the patterns.. Did you notice tat you keep seeing a sunflower theme all around? That is because the sunflower is something of a royal emblem and can be found in all the royal buildings...  we also saw the same recurring theme in the Opera House and the Sultan's yatch was also named sunflower.. maybe it is his favourite flower.. I searched google but no one explained why this recurring theme came about...

 This is how Ace must have felt as he was outside and not able to go in:)


 Saw this golden click and it was also in the Opera house.. maybe is the Sultan's favourite design..


 This picture taken by Ace gives you a sense of how tall the ceilings are...





 Another nice one by Ace:)

 The thing about taking photos with my phone is that the sun was so bright.. most of the time, I was just aiming in that general direction. I cannot really see the image in my phone and dunno wat I have taken till I go into the shade:) wahahahah

 I am making this XL because only while I was editing that i realized that the marble floor reflected the arches.. so nice hor!




 This is Ace at work while Max is taking  photo of me:)

 Hahaha.. I am not sure what Ace wanted to take.. maybe it is the pattern in the middle but i think this is very nice:) and I just happen to be in the picture... hahahha

The next series of photos are all taken in the same area.. can you tell which is taken by who?:)

 Taken by Max...
 Taken by me...
 Taken by me...
 Taken by Ace..

 Uncle Max taking photos of flowers... AGAIN!

 Love these arches...

 I think Ace loves arches too.. cos he took many pics of them... for example the one above and the one below..



 This one taken by Max...

 Ace did a candid camera on me while I was walking around...

 Wanted to take picture of the shiny dome but somehow the picture din quite end up the way I envisioned...

 Ace and his patterns again..

 If you think that the woman's prayer room was nice... wait till you go into the MAIN PRAYER ROOM...

It is the most awesome mosque prayer room ever! Ok.. i have only visited two.. But still.. this place was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful that as I walked in, I was moved to tears! First time ever that beauty moves me that much!

 Photo by Ace:)

 This is the dome in the middle of the room..

 This is the view from the doorway.. imagine this whole carpet is ONE PIECE.. imagine how they put everything together man!

 The intricate carpet design that matches the ceiling!





 Photo by Ace...

 Photo by Ace again...

 This one I took so you can see the details...


 The roof also alot of details...

 Ace and his patterns again... wahhahahaha...

 Sunflowers sunflowers everywhere!




 I was so taken by these stained glass windows! I am half thinking I want to shape the windows of my HDB flat this way and stain them like tat! wahahahahahaha




So pretty right??!!



 Only Ace dare to lie down on this holy place to take photo lor.. I was so surprised to see this photo and asked Ace how he took it.. "I used the self timer lah.. the self timer is there for a reason you know..." wah lau...



 These are some photos by Ace that gives you an idea of the layout of the room..



 I am also very fascinated with the altar .. the design is matching with the dome and carpet but hor.. it is very glittery.. maybe alot of gold inside.. wahaha










 ah ha! Max also fascinated with the stain glass window! wahahahahaha!






 OOps, I got into Ace's way again.. hahahahah.. but maybe he thinks his mum is very beautiful.. that is why I am in so many of his frames! wahahahahahaha



 Love this beautiful place:)

 I tot this looks quite nice.. so I action action... put my hand there...

 And then someone copy cat me lor:) Guess WHO????


 I was trying to capture but the arabic wordings and the bird up there on the arch:)

 I wonder if they build nests here.. hahaha..


 Place where you wash up before prayer..





 Bye bye.. Sultan Qaboos Mosque:)

 Thank you for sharing your beauty.. I gratefully bring all these beautiful memories home!:)

 Two men taking a breather to rest:)

 Just before we left, found another garden!



And that marked the end of our mosque trip.. which means have to hurry hurry to the Opera House!!

Previous Post: Oman Trip 2: Nakheel Fort And Hot Springs


Oman Trip 2014:
Oman Trip 1: Long Drive To Oman

Oman Trip 2: Nakheel Fort And Hot Springs

Oman Trip 3: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque

Oman Trip 4: Royal Opera HOuse of Muscat

Oman Trip 5: Old Souk And Royal Palace

Oman Trip 6: Secret Garden And Oman Sunset

Oman Trip 7: The Drive Home And Hatta Fort Hotel

No comments: