Thursday, July 16, 2015

Molly Died

Today is a sad day.

Today, our fish, Molly, passed away.



Molly came to our home a little less than 6 months ago when Ace asked his grandma for some fishes that she bought to feed the aerowana in her house. We brought about 10 fishes home and one by one they died.


We thought he was a goldfish till he pooped a long curly, white poop and I posted on FB to ask what that was. My friend told me this is a Molly fish, not a goldfish... so as a result, we named this fish MOLLY.. even though I think he is male.

Ace told me later that he thought Molly will be the first fish to go because his tail looked a little chipped.

But Molly survived and was the LONE survivor. I changed his water once a week and fed him a diet of bread.. simply because I was sure he was going to die soon and did not want to buy him fish food. But he thrived on a diet of bread (he showed preferance for white bread over brown) and I even fed him VP once when I found one on the floor. He seemed to like it.


During this time, he brought us much wonder and joy. When we are bored, we will look at him swim. Sometimes we disturb him and put pictures of things with eyes next to the tank and see what he will do. He does not like eyes and he will swim around frantically. We think that is so cute and so funny.

HE is very silly as he is always swimming around with the "OMG, what am I going to do" vibe whenever something changes around him.

But he always comes round to it and settles down.


Molly is also very blur.



If you throw food into the tank, he will often not be aware till very much later... even if he is very hungry. Totally no situational awareness... just like Ace!:) haha...

Sometimes when I am feeling bored, Molly is a pretty good listener when i try to chat with him.


We discovered that Molly loves to eat shit..

I mean literally! We found out about that when I fed him VP once and he started shitting about an hour later. I went out, came home and realized that all the shit is gone! Apparently, Molly ate his own shit and passed it out again later...

Since we brought the goldfishes home, we have been keeping Molly together with the goldfishes.

He seemed to thrive with them and has survived even though goldfish after goldfish died.

Max named him THE SURVIVOR.

But today, when Ace looked into the tank, he said, "Mummy, one fish died.."

When I looked in, I realized that actually two fishes have died. A goldfish... and another lifeless body that looked like MOlly.

I hoped that I was wrong but when I tried to pick him up. He was not moving and he was stiff.

So I picked him out and threw him away. Ace was really sad and started crying.

He asked if we could bury him instead of throw him away but I explained to Ace that there was no place we could bury him in where we stay.

Ace changed out of his light blue shirt and said he wants to change into his grey shirt to mourn for Molly.

He cried very hard and blamed himself for bringing the goldfishes home. He thinks that the goldfishes must have eaten up Molly's food and so Molly starved. But I told Ace Molly already lived much longer than I thought he would and it was time for him to go.. so we should just let him go.

So Ace made a death certificate for Molly and did one minute of silence. I told him he can chant for Molly if he wants as well.


I messaged Max and informed him and even he was sad.

After about 6 months with us, Molly has sort of become family... And so in the span of a few months, Ace has to once and again face death within the family.

Dear Molly,
you have lived your life bravely and wonderfully. You are a survivor and an unassuming fish who loved fiercely and lived passionately.  Thank you for your love. We will remember you.

XXXXOOOOO, The Chua Family


No comments: